Self-employed vs Employed

Depends on the individual really. Self employed here and wouldn't have it any other way. Its not just financial, its more of a lifestyle choice to be honest, that's not to say I don't regularly complain about it though. It has it's downsides too.

• Like 4

If finances are the main focus, the perspective is wrong. 

No doubt you can make a fortune when self employed, but it's more a question of who you are.

Not everyone is a good employee and so not everyone can handle beeing self employed, it's more like a lifeline you (have to) follow.

There are shades of grey, but you will know which kind you are, when doing one or the other.

If you just do it for the money, the chance of failing big time is very high, you need a motivation that comes from your heart and soul. 

Edited by marne
  • Like 3

Like said by Marne, you need the drive to be self employed.

perosnally wouldn’t have it any other way though and after being my own boss for so long I’m basically unemployable at this point.

it’s the little things, such as not having to check with your boss if you can make a dental appointment 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, s.varty said:

Is it only me or has anyone else noticed that being self employed makes you immune to any illness whatsoever.

I would say it’s more like, being self employed means you don’t take days off unless you’re physically unable to move. 

I’ve been on my own for just over a year after being employed for years, wouldn’t have it any other way! 

• Like 1

I am a self employed hand cutter where I could honestly get away with 1-2 saws and a van and a 20 ton jack and wedges. But I tried that for the first 6 months and realised I was getting bored rapidly.

So I try to invest my wages back into the job and buy better kit etc which makes it more interesting (hopefully one day some sort of machine). 

If I were to cut 5 days a week and be tight about it and just do it for the money, I'd more than likely be better of employed doing something else.  

24 minutes ago, Donnie said:

So I try to invest my wages back into the job and buy better kit etc which makes it more interesting (hopefully one day some sort of machine). 

Jet pack or don't bother.

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

Ah that's not the question, we could probably all have done something else for more money but where's the fun in that? 

Yeah your right. I chose financial instability and less money for the priveledge of dragging my sorry arse round an underquoted slimy tip reduction in the wind and rain for a day rate, while the pricks on the ground watched. Couldn't believe how much fun I was having. 

Still couldn't be employed though. The immense privilege of telling people to bugger off is an worth it.

• Haha 1