Site comms as of 2024

AHPP

Technology and comms products are no doubt evolving. How are we keeping up? What's out there now that wasn't out there five years ago?

I'm still using ebay Freedconn motorcycle intercoms self-fitted into a pair of helmets. Haven't felt much need in the six or seven years I've probably used comms to have more than two way conversation. Certainly never wanted comms outside of my helmet. 

Was just pushed an advert for these. 

https://www.okmilo.com/en-gb/

They won't be any good on loud sites. Helmets are still king there. One of the underrated benefits of helmet comms is being able to talk to someone three feet away, muffs down, over a background din or facing different directions etc. Perhaps these might be useful for a site with a load of battery and silky pruning happening all over the place, a few climbers up and one groundsman nipping round untying the odd bit of tail rigging etc. Easy to hand out to whoever, no hygiene issues sharing helmets. Major downside is lack of privacy. Client will hear your group chat...

Nothing groundbreaking. Just saw them and got me thinking. 

Edited by AHPP

Back in 2020, when my nephew was out here working, he bought and fitted some cheap coms units, worked very well, then they died, and he left.

So it was back to hand signals and shouting.

My newest hired man (18years old) is very into the gear side of things so we’ve got this coming tomorrow.

Seems to get good reviews on Amazon
I’ll let you know how they work out.

IMG_1242.png

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Back in 2020, when my nephew was out here working, he bought and fitted some cheap coms units, worked very well, then they died, and he left.

So it was back to hand signals and shouting.

My newest hired man (18years old) is very into the gear side of things so we’ve got this coming tomorrow.

Seems to get good reviews on Amazon
I’ll let you know how they work out.

IMG_1242.png

SHOUTING AND HAND SIGNALS IS CHEAP!

These look interesting though, looking forward to hearing how they perform.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

SHOUTING AND HAND SIGNALS IS CHEAP!

These look interesting though, looking forward to hearing how they perform.

Having regularly used sign tree work sign language it's fairly easy to communicate without radios when you work with the same guys for a while.

Things like beer. Cigarettes , fuel and food are simple hand gestures..

Edited by Botty Cough
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Are you sure you spelt winching correctly at £785 each?.

Absolutely ridiculous.

People need to learn sign language especially when they can't even type correctly 😂

Edited by Botty Cough