Old school 4 x4 Ranger needs the best mud tyres available - what are they ?

The aging Ranger needs new tyres and with the trend of 6 months of relentless rain every year they need to be good. The M+S that are on there have been almost useless.  I rarely travel more than 5 mile radius, so tyre road noise is irrelevant.   I am hoping there will be a definitive answer and this is certainly the best pace for experienced advice.   Thankyou in advance. 

Kumho MT if you can get hold of any, if you can't get there with them then you want with anything else in a road going tyre.

As you are doing 5 miles then if it's all forest tracks have you thought of set of old weller wheels with flotation tyres fitted, farmer near me runs old Toyota hilux with them on with slug applicator on.      

• Like 1

Cooper MT , BFG MT, Kumho MT are the ones which kept coming up when I was searching around last year.

I went for the BFG ATs in the end, didn't want the noise of MT. Yesterday bogged at an allotment I wished maybe I had the MT, but towing the trailer across wet grass is a pretty tall order. Dropped trailer off and easily drove to concrete and then towed it out with a rope.

• Like 1

I reckon all terrain tyres were designed purely for mounting the pavement out side little Johnnys school!
They’re just as crap as mud tyres on wet tarmac and almost as crap as school run tyres off road! 

I like the Goodyear wrangler duratrac tyres, they seem like the least compromise between all the bad points but for full on muds just get a set of Dakar turbo/insa turbos there cheap as chips and do well off road but are shit if you don’t anticipate stopping in the next 5 miles on a wet road!

Edited by Will C