Chainsaw for small woodland

KeenButGreen

The management plan for our small woodland ( a couple of acres) is in and we’re looking for a chainsaw to take on the bigger trees.   The wood is mainly overstood hazel coppice (20+years) which we’re looking to turn into short rotation stands.  The rest is planted oak/ash - we’re leaving the dominant trees but need to thin out the sub dominants and whips and dying ash.  There’s nothing massive - all under the 380mm I did the course on.  

I’ve just done the CS30/31 chainsaw tickets with a STIHL 251c and am looking for advice on whether this is a good saw to buy, is it overkill and are there any equivalents I should look at?  

We’re looking at petrol not battery 

Any thoughts/comments appreciated

48 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'd stump up the extra and get a 261, no more weight but lots more power, much better and tougher saw as design for pro rather than domestic use. On a 16" great in the woods.

Thanks. I was wondering about a 261 but thought it might be overkill.  
second hand prices are similar to 251’s - but FB Marketplace seems a terrible place to buy - mainly around knowing if it’s actually theirs and also if it’s knackered or not. 

13 minutes ago, KeenButGreen said:

I’m pretty certain that *is* overkill… 😄

Not at all . IMHO 🙂 Light weight good power . 15" up to a 20" . Would be my choice today and I am a Husqvarna man ! 

Would say something around 50 to 55cc as for make it's your choice. The problem with second hand saws you never know the history, I ve bought quite a few saws second hand but all have been cheap and seized so I know it's a complete rebuild. 

Buy new and the best you can afford from local dealer. 

• Like 3

-Its all well and good saying this little semi pro does fine etc etc and yes, I know it will . keep a sharp chain and a 171 will do it but , Eventually you will need/want something that can do a bit more a bit quicker so why not start there rather than build up to it via 3 or 4 different saws .

• Like 3