Asian hornet - be aware and stay safe

Old Farm

8 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I suppose he would say that but European Hornets are normally no trouble at all. We get them all the time, often having to shepherd them out the house and they nest regularly about the place and they've never stung anyone. 

Obviously if you're likely to react badly to stings then I would be more cautious but my honey bees are far worse than hornets or wasps.

I would urge anyone in the UK to contact the BBKA or your local bee keeping group if you suspect Asian Hornets. It should be easy to get hold of someone who can identify them and help eradicate  them if they are the invasives.

Our experiences differ markedly then.

On 25/02/2024 at 19:20, Mick Dempsey said:

Probably because it’s efficacy is in doubt.

I’ve seen them professionally destroyed over here, they use a stick to apply the insecticide directly into the nest, killing every individual very fast.

Then the advice is to leave well alone for a while to avoid stings from others returning.

It's not just about efficacy, it's about leaving insecticide out where other things will eat it.  Birds going into a poisoned AH nest to eat the larvae are going to die.  When does the poison stop working, not sure anyone knows.  The NBU remove nests they have destroyed and remove them if possible, think they left 3 nests in situ last year.

16 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

In all honesty if it was the choice between a paintball gun filled with Sarin gas and getting up close and personal i think i might be holding my breath and excrcising my trigger finger. 

Odd that, as a few posts ago you thought it was pointless..

john..

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Last years nest. At least 25metres up!

IMG_1218.jpeg

• Like 2

On 27/02/2024 at 13:21, john87 said:

Odd that, as a few posts ago you thought it was pointless..

john..

I think you'll find i was referring to the majority of your comments being pointless.

I'll try and be clearer next time. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...