Asian hornet - be aware and stay safe

Old Farm

20 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

I did wonder (and I know it’s a daft question), if you react badly to regular wasp/bee stings surely you would have a far worse reaction to a sting off these? 

The reaction is about the same.  People who are greatest risk are anyone with an immune disorder, heart problems or breathing issues like asthma, the reaction may be more severe for these folks.

• Like 2

On 24/02/2024 at 12:11, john87 said:

Say a nest of them is spotted up a tree. Who but a loony is going to climb up there to catch them or do you blow the nest off with a 12 bore??

john..

There is a chap in France who kills nests by shooting them with paint pellets loaded with insecticide.  Not an approved approach in the UK.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Farm said:

There is a chap in France who kills nests by shooting them with paint pellets loaded with insecticide.  Not an approved approach in the UK.

Probably because it’s efficacy is in doubt.

I’ve seen them professionally destroyed over here, they use a stick to apply the insecticide directly into the nest, killing every individual very fast.

Then the advice is to leave well alone for a while to avoid stings from others returning.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

We used to have to deal with North American Hornets at work.

We had a bee keeper helmet and would wear ski pants and jacket under rain clothes.Tape our cuffs and ankles ,climb up and swiftly bag the nest in a bin bag and then come down.

Normally we would empty a can of spray into the bag and that would be the end of them. Once a customer used a can of aerosol thinner instead,it was a particularly large nest so I wanted to keep it. I put it in the workshop but unfortunately the thinners just knocked the hornets out for a while and the next day we had a shed full of pisssed off hungover bitey flies. 

That's a story KKKriss would be proud of. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Asian hornets are the worst things living on this planet.
Here in France, a lot of regions saw their coming...

Not a year goes by at my place without a new nest being created; it makes work for some, but unfortunately, others have been severely stung.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Probably because it’s efficacy is in doubt.

I’ve seen them professionally destroyed over here, they use a stick to apply the insecticide directly into the nest, killing every individual very fast.

Then the advice is to leave well alone for a while to avoid stings from others returning.

Yes, but shooting at them will be MUCH more satisfying..

john..