Getting sap off of saws

Donnie

I'm a softwood cutter 5 days a week and I'm going to be selling my 562XP as it's coming out of warranty (it's 10 months old). 

What is the best way to get sap etc off of it? I usually just scrape it with a combi key and a bit of petrol sometimes. 

I've used white spirit before. The Stihl stuff looks like a proper can for £6 in the picture but actually it's only 50ml - not tried it at that price but am curious.

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Superclean Resin Solvent 50ml, Oil Based Cleaner The Graphite and Lubricating Mineral Oil Based...

• Like 1

Brake cleaner isn't too bad as it atleast evaporates without leaving a residue.

Most other oil based solvents tend to leave a smell, paraffin, diesel, petrol and even that label remover stuff.

Cheap furniture polish is surprisingly good at general removal of things including glue.

Methylated spirit or surgical spirit does the job (methylated spirit is about £2 cheaper for 500 ml bottle), wipe with cloth or if thick of resin work in with nail brush or light pan scourer as well as an old tooth brush in more difficult areas to reach, when clean wipe over with car polish to give it a bit of a shine. Haven't tried that Stihl resin cleaner yet but is a lot more expensive than methylated spirit or surgical spirit

31 minutes ago, Vedhoggar said:

Haven't tried that Stihl resin cleaner yet but is a lot more expensive than methylated spirit or surgical spirit

Yes, I only use it to spray on the hedgecutter blades when on site, when really needed ££. Meths otherwise. Brake cleaner excellent but evaporates too quickly so have to use too much ££

I use Stihl varioclean and superclean for mine. The varioclean is great for washing the air filter and casing. The Superclean gets used on the silkys,hedgecutters and bars. Aswell as other metal items that get covered in sap.