More doom and gloom

24 minutes ago, sime42 said:

I did, and I don't.

I was merely trying to share a bit of positivity. Maybe I should have considered the tread title more fully first. 🤔

Maybe, just don't think it's anywhere as accurate as they're trying to claim.

Look at us, look at us, we have all this water.

Whilst at the same time glossing over Canada oil sands, Norway gas, rainforests etc.

Edited by GarethM

24 minutes ago, GarethM said:

If you want to make yourself depressed look at Ireland data centres and the power cable they want to lay to Iceland.

I don't need any suggestions, thank you.

3 hours ago, peds said:

I don't need any suggestions, thank you.

There's one to be built in Manchester, 40MW.

Planners barely even thought about the diesel backup that sort of juice requires and the waste heat that just vented to the atmosphere instead of being used for say heating the Olympic pool or maybe in the basement of every leisure centre in the land.

Say 80% power efficiency, that 8MW of heat

Edited by GarethM

Going back a couple of posts, as Tesco says "Every Little Helps".

Some countries have a lot of rivers, hydro power, some have a lot of sun, some a lot of wind (we are quite windy), got to make the most of what we have. 

Interconnectors are useful - we can take Norwegian Hydro in the UK, California takes Canadian hydro electric (also in the UK a connection to France and the rest of Europe so could be tied into their nuclear power as well). Interconnector to Ireland allows that to pass through. Since Europe is so large this helps balance power so we don't all need spare generators spinning taking power and can be more efficient.

I've seen the one about a swimming pool on top of a data centre which costs the council nothing to heat (and saves the data centre money with better cooling) - like I said, every little helps!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Going back a couple of posts, as Tesco says "Every Little Helps".

Some countries have a lot of rivers, hydro power, some have a lot of sun, some a lot of wind (we are quite windy), got to make the most of what we have. 

Interconnectors are useful - we can take Norwegian Hydro in the UK, California takes Canadian hydro electric (also in the UK a connection to France and the rest of Europe so could be tied into their nuclear power as well). Interconnector to Ireland allows that to pass through. Since Europe is so large this helps balance power so we don't all need spare generators spinning taking power and can be more efficient.

I've seen the one about a swimming pool on top of a data centre which costs the council nothing to heat (and saves the data centre money with better cooling) - like I said, every little helps!

Hydro is being removed where possible in Scandinavia as the dams collapse whole eco systems… salmon and eels to name a few are on the verge of extinction… this is what really pisses me off with the whole green agenda, mining for the components for battery’s , dams and big stupid wind turbines … hardly green if you take in to consideration the damage they do… we are facing mass extinctions to the last remaining ecosystems and its being driven by this ridiculous agenda. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Steven P said:

And the alternative in about 30 years time as the oil runs out? (Wikipedia has a nice chart showing the current predictions) Turn everything off maybe?

It's spelt Nuke-u-lar

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Steven P said:

In whose back yard though? Nuclear makes sense... but.... no one wants one near their homes.

(and considering our latest effort is going to take 30 years to be productive it is cutting it quite fine)

I've said it before, we built Calder hall in 3 years whilst designing and creating the technology.

Bin this unproven EPR that even the french who designed it seems unable to get working.

Finland took 18 years to get theirs up and running.