Advice on buying a road bicycle sought.

difflock

I been riding an old bicycle of our son's, which was always somewhat too small for me.

Being aware that the cycle market is currently in turmoil/bloodbath/freefall price wise. .  . 

So I am in the notion of buying myself sommat more suitable.

For recreational road use.

Buy how do I size a bicycle, since I am aware that I have a slightly longer back/ shorter legs than the norm.

Height, say 5' 9".

I shall also ask my wife to measure my inside leg. .  .

As long as it's capable of being ridden on a public footpath at great speed weaving between pedestrians,  without the trivialities of having a bell, or the foresight to actually operate one, I am sure any current bicycle should fit the agenda.😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Some new bikes only come in Small  Meduim  Large as they decided to  save money by having fewer frame sizes,adjutment is achived  by seat post and handlebar stem length.

For  your height if  your inseam is about 30" -31"  id say  you want a max  53cm  frame size id you are measuring it like a classic road bike from Bottom bracket to bottom of the seat tube

WWW.EBICYCLES.COM

Whether you’re riding a road bike to join a local cycling group, do a casual weekend ride, or test your limits in a race, your...

What size is you sons bike?

& whats the  budget as decent ones aren't cheap unless you find a bargin second hand but aren't many about.

New hybrid flat bar  bikes are nearly all total junk.

Edited by Stere
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pleasant said:

As long as it's capable of being ridden on a public footpath at great speed weaving between pedestrians,  without the trivialities of having a bell, or the foresight to actually operate one, I am sure any current bicycle should fit the agenda.😇

Seems a little harsh,  not all cyclists are so selfish that they just ride on the pavement.  

There are plenty that stick to riding on the road.

IMG_4444.jpeg.b578f5fbe65816c69210c389fa48958e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Unaccountable, unpredictable, uninsured...why would you want to join a fraternity like that? Think of your reputation. There is nowhere to ride a bike where you will not be a bloody nuisance to everyone around you. I don't mean this in a bad way...

• Like 2

My ideal bike:

WWW.RENEHERSECYCLES.COM

If you've read the previous post, you know that this year's Paris-Brest-Paris wasn't without challenges. It was a hard...

Good for country lanes with poor tarmac as wide  fast rolling high TPI tyres plus mudguards.

No disc brakes or STI gear shifters levers to go wrong & add extra weight & complexity for no benefit for everyday usage.

So not any hassle with  maintenance.

• Like 1

if youre buying a bicycle have you considered all the additional costs?

youll need some obscenely tight lycra shorts for waving your arse at motorists or "evil planet-killing infidels" as i believe theyre known in cycling circles

plus youll need to find some other enthusiasts of tight shorts for them to ride alongside you at 10mph in rush hour on major roads

dont forget youll need to find a massive chip to go on your shoulder

luckily youll save on parking, fuel, MOT, service and maintenance, road tax, fuel tax, congestion charge, ulez, and the need for a proper religious service when you inevitably depart this world since you will become a soulless inhuman creature once you venture forth into the cycling world.

but not to worry, you get to turn up late and sweaty to every social and business meeting, smugly proud of doing your bit to save the planet.

27 minutes ago, manco said:

if youre buying a bicycle have you considered all the additional costs?

youll need some obscenely tight lycra shorts for waving your arse at motorists or "evil planet-killing infidels" as i believe theyre known in cycling circles

plus youll need to find some other enthusiasts of tight shorts for them to ride alongside you at 10mph in rush hour on major roads

dont forget youll need to find a massive chip to go on your shoulder

luckily youll save on parking, fuel, MOT, service and maintenance, road tax, fuel tax, congestion charge, ulez, and the need for a proper religious service when you inevitably depart this world since you will become a soulless inhuman creature once you venture forth into the cycling world.

but not to worry, you get to turn up late and sweaty to every social and business meeting, smugly proud of doing your bit to save the planet.

Jebus, then become a vegan and disappear up ones own bum in smugness!.