Lorry loads of timber for firewood

Donnie

Now then another post from me about firewood. 

Buying a venom splitter on Friday and was just wondering how much or how little there is to be made doing firewood. 

On a lorry load of hardwood at 75-90 GBP a ton delivered (what my boss is offering me) how many IBC crates would this normally fill?

This is me thinking of the future and seeing what you guys think. Will need to find a yard of some sort which I'm also unsure on the price per month of something like that. 

Cancel the order for the splitter. Unless you're talking of only doing one lorry load a year?

In which case, wasting your time buying in, even at that marginally lower price. 

My most serious concern however is you not knowing the answer to the question of how many ibc crates a ton (of what wood?) would be filled. Lorry loads to crates is irrelevant as there are various lorry sizes. Are you buying hardwood/softwood, ash or sweet chestnut? Processor size or oversize? You need to get a handle on all this before spending a bean or contemplating a business.

• Like 3

Would be a part time hobby. 

It would be 25 ton of hardwood. Mixed and oversize more than likely. Also have other plans for the splitter

Again @Whoppa Choppa I'm not jumping into it and I'm looking for some info. 

Another point, I make a lot of topics on this forum just to get info and learn a few things off of older people who have been there n done it. 

Edited by Donnie
  • Like 3

Well if you're buying a splitter on Friday you kinda are jumping into it, especially without a yard etc.

If you had the space FOC you can make it work, you'll also need a means of delivery and a long list of other things including insurance.

• Like 2

I do appreciate the concern of me jumping into it but I've got a small idea with the splitter and a bit of work lined up already with it so hopefully more will come of the back of it (someone elses timber/yard). Hopefully word of mouth and all that brings me some more. 

Even if I don't make a great deal of money I can afford the splitter no problem and it's another piece of kit I have and invested so win win. 

I've spent well over the 2200 (price of the splitter) on tools for engineering (my last job) and they're pretty much gathering dust in the garage anyways so no big deal. 😂 

Not got any other ideas for moving forward other than what's listed above and I hate not having something to aim for.

(Forestry woodcutter 5 days a week btw)

Edited by Donnie
More drivel

2 hours ago, Donnie said:

Would be a part time hobby. 

It would be 25 ton of hardwood. Mixed and oversize more than likely. Also have other plans for the splitter

Again @Whoppa Choppa I'm not jumping into it and I'm looking for some info. 

Another point, I make a lot of topics on this forum just to get info and learn a few things off of older people who have been there n done it. 

Ah that's good. My firmness of comment was motivated by care rather than disrespect. There's a good fb page called firewood banter or some such name that is pretty helpful too.