Storing kiln-dried hardwood in the garage

Lladro

Test a log when its delivered before its unloaded would be best

I  don't buy seasoned  logs too expensive for me, but many people I  know or worked  for have and it seems it as often as  not  the logs are  unseasoned.

The  stuff wooden in crates normally is seasoned ok, most packed that way comes imported from eastern europe or the baltic  states etc I think, as im not sure that style of crates are packed from UK sourced wood?

Im not sure its all ethically or legally sourced though as alot of illegal tree felling going on in some countries.

Better imo to try get logs from the UK as normally is cheaper than the crates, but normally will come loose or in dumpy bags which I suppose might be more hassle to store....

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

As above  18% moisture is 18% moisture no matter how its achieved . In fact if I was offered the choice between air dried and kiln dried I would take the air dried all day long . I think it has a little bit more about it .

• Like 1

Local reputable log supplier is the way to go, air dried. Friendly face and somebody you can talk to. They are around, try asking your chimney sweep or on local Facebook pages for reputation.

Logs that go mouldy in the garage aren't dry, avoid.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Local reputable log supplier is the way to go, air dried. Friendly face and somebody you can talk to. They are around, try asking your chimney sweep or on local Facebook pages for reputation.

Logs that go mouldy in the garage aren't dry, avoid.

Sums it up in my view. For 20 years I have split my own logs, let them air dry in an open barn, then move a couple of cubes at a time into the attached garage. never had logs go mouldy. I burn about 30 cu metres a year between our stoves and the biomass boiler.

• Like 2

If you can, try and get locally grown wood, rather than firewood imported from a far flung country.

Softwood or hardwood, it doesn't matter, it will all keep your toes cosy when it's dry.

• Like 1