damage caused when removing fallen trees

jose

I don't remember a single time when we have had to deal with a customers insurance company, removal costs and provisos go direct to the client, the bun fight with the insurance company is theirs.

Bob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

I don't remember a single time when we have had to deal with a customers insurance company, removal costs and provisos go direct to the client, the bun fight with the insurance company is theirs.

Bob

Agreed, I sent the quote to my client, and it’s them that’ll pay me (if it comes off) that’s how I work. 
He sent it on to the insurance people who then contacted me direct. 

@monkeybusiness’s post was interesting and makes sense of the questions that they were asking me. 

not got any further with this garage job (waiting to hear back from the crane operator i use).

The tree looks to be in good health ironically but when i went to the root ball it was like sponge! no wonder it came down, the roots were shot. This is a lot bigger in the flesh, a very mature birch it estimate 80+ yrs.

it was worked on, crown cleaned and given the thumbs up by another firm just 2 years prior (not myself). 

ironically following on from other comments the 2 home owners (tree belongs to the house on the left out of the picture) want 2 prices as insurance will only cover up to the fence line even though the garage owner property doesnt own the tree.

its a easy job with a crane or a platform (to strip first) and then a timber grab on say a grab loader lorry but a must for something that can lift a heavy lump. 

7 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

we have "won" when we have no more customers because we told them that they are stupid , but we kid ourselves that we are now part time  /  retired 😁

Been thinking about this and I think it warrants enlarging on.

I realised  a few years or so ago that where I am, business wise, is pretty much where I’ll finish, a small but well equipped one gang outfit.

I’m not going to take over the world, but I won’t be delivering pizzas on a council funded mobility scooter.

So at 60, with 2/3 years left in business I realise that I no longer have to abase myself to clients, or even worry about pissing the odd (irritating or unreasonable) one off or turning down work, a few people bad-mouthing me won’t undo the nearly 2 decades of work here in France.

I still advertise, I’m still looking for new clients and I still sell hard when I’m pricing, but with this age there’s been a shift in my attitude.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Been thinking about this and I think it warrants enlarging on.

I realised  a few years or so ago that where I am, business wise, is pretty much where I’ll finish, a small but well equipped one gang outfit.

I’m not going to take over the world, but I won’t be delivering pizzas on a council funded mobility scooter.

So at 60, with 2/3 years left in business I realise that I no longer have to abase myself to clients, or even worry about pissing the odd (irritating or unreasonable) one off or turning down work, a few people bad-mouthing me won’t undo the nearly 2 decades of work here in France.

I still advertise, I’m still looking for new clients and I still sell hard when I’m pricing, but with this age there’s been a shift in my attitude.

Understood Mick . You are a long time dead .

9 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

You have to be careful with insurance companies as often the policy doesn’t cover removal of arisings, and I’ll bet that’s what they were angling for (to pass some of your cost on to the policy holder). 
We took a massive beech off/out of a house - 2 days with a 60 tonne crane, tractor and forwarding trailer etc etc. Price agreed before hand, job done to satisfaction, invoice submitted to homeowner (who happened to be a retired insurance loss adjuster!). The following week I received a call from his insurer questioning how much of our bill covered removal of arisings (I don’t tend to break invoices down, just stick the big number at the bottom). I explained that it wasn’t possible to break that aspect of the job down as we had to remove the material as we went to be able to work, there was nowhere to store material on site. Disposal was cost-neutral to us as we don’t have to pay to tip, and is all included within our rates. They kept trying to find an angle to knock their payout down but I sensed where they were going with the conversation. 
Tread carefully with insurance sharks….

Flip it on it's head, tell them you sold the arisings (woodchip and logs). So if they want the job without paying for removal from site, price is now double  :w00t::evil:

• Haha 1

On 05/01/2024 at 14:43, Stubby said:

Did you put it all back Mike ? Or just the equivalent of what he would not pay 🙂

Nah

Sometimes when the client gets the payment from the insurance they look for reasons to keep some money for themselves.It worked out in the end.

• Like 1

Or as the case may be for theOak tree round the corner from mine.  Tree owner get a quote for the removal of fallen tree.  Insurance covers costs and the guy then gets an old man from round the corner to do it for the wood and the tree owner is in the money as they keep the insurance money.

The. Easy thing about that job was the tree had gone and the insurance company was calling up to try and get cheaper prices from the farmer up the road, yet the tree had been done at least a week before.

• Haha 1