Putting a drive way in

Donnie

I've a 6x6m or so grassy patch that I want to put a second driveway/join onto my old one. 

Can get a 3 ton digger off my boss for a weekend no problem. 

Will be getting someone to tar it after I do the ground works but I was curious as to how much type one I would roughly need? And if anyone knows roughly how much it is per ton. 

Would be a sheer drop off the curb on the new drive way side as I'm sure you need planning permission etc from the council and what not?

3 hours ago, JDon said:

I've a 6x6m or so grassy patch that I want to put a second driveway/join onto my old one. 

Can get a 3 ton digger off my boss for a weekend no problem. 

Will be getting someone to tar it after I do the ground works but I was curious as to how much type one I would roughly need? And if anyone knows roughly how much it is per ton. 

Would be a sheer drop off the curb on the new drive way side as I'm sure you need planning permission etc from the council and what not?

read this first as I know someone who got seriously caught out by this !!!!

If the driveway area is more than 5sqm then you technically require planning consent even if it’s a replacement.  It’s only PD if you discharge surface water onsite. 

Ways to do this include:

1. Discharge into a soak away onsite. 
2. Grade the surface into soft landscaping on site, e.g. a shrub bed. 

3. Make it porous. Remember, the whole thing has to be porous.  If you fit a porous wearing course on top of MOT type 1 it doesn’t count as porous due to the fines in MOT type 1. 

I worked in planning as a TO for over 13 years and used to come across this all the time. I never met a driveway company that knew about the requirement.  It’s just not well known in the building industry. Suppose if no one ever told them then how would they. 

• Like 1

The road I put in at mine with a friend is 40mm scalpings, which is similar to type 1, but doesn't meet the standards to be called MOT so couldn't be used on a highway. Can get it from a local quarry for notes....

I think official MOT type 1 has to be blasted rock?

It's laid about 6" thick with a layer of membrane underneath. Compacted with a double drum roller. I've had 8 wheeler lorries on it (so 32t) and it didn't leave a mark.

Back when I was a teenager we extended the driveway at my parents house the old fashioned way - dug it out by hand, put bigger rocks at the bottom then progressively smaller stones up to dust then a layer of chippings on top. Compacted by driving the car over it. Was fine for cars.

Here you go:

6x6m = 36m2

36x0.2m deep = 7.2m3 of stone

7.2 x 1.8 (that's tonnes per cubic metre for granite scalpings) = 13 tonnes.

Worth getting a price for it delivered in bulk from an 8 wheeler. Round here it's £35/tonne, which compares favourably with £50 for 800kg in bulk bags from a builders merchant. If you are close to a quarry then it will be a lot cheaper.