Sourdough Addiction

JonnyRFT

42 minutes ago, JonnyRFT said:

I’ve joined a Sourdough forum so I can get mid-life crisis out of the way early, and I’ve seen people who mill their own flour. Certainly seems like a lot of effort but apparently the quality of the bread is incredible. I’ve just signed a long lease for 4 acres of land where I’m starting a permaculture farm in the new year and I will definitely be growing my own wheat to try it out.

I have not tried sourdough baking but a year ago I had to cut my way into a patch of ripe rye a tree had fallen into, I brought home some ears , threshed and ground them in a coffee grinder. Added to whole strong wheat if caused the bread to be flat but I liked it. Next time I went back I asked the farmer if I could have a bucket full from the combine. A friend long term lent me millie, a french quern. 15 minutes of grinding just about makes enough rye flour for a loaf. Milling got suspended for a bit while I dealt with a mouse infestation ;-).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I have not tried sourdough baking but a year ago I had to cut my way into a patch of ripe rye a tree had fallen into, I brought home some ears , threshed and ground them in a coffee grinder. Added to whole strong wheat if caused the bread to be flat but I liked it. Next time I went back I asked the farmer if I could have a bucket full from the combine. A friend long term lent me millie, a french quern. 15 minutes of grinding just about makes enough rye flour for a loaf. Milling got suspended for a bit while I dealt with a mouse infestation ;-).

I hadn’t thought about using coffee grinder, but it makes sense. I take it, it works well to grind into flour? 

5 hours ago, JonnyRFT said:

I hadn’t thought about using coffee grinder, but it makes sense. I take it, it works well to grind into flour? 

No not really I couldn't get it fine enough which is why I used millie. This thread reminded me to get it out and clean it, I still have about 8kg of rye.

Still wet but loosely assembled

millie.thumb.png.695c29c5144af0ddedac05b297837a3c.png

• Like 1

On 15/12/2023 at 07:34, JonnyRFT said:

I’ve recently been into making Sourdough bread. It’s surprisingly fun and addictive. I’m supplying my neighbours with all the excess loaves while I’m practicing.

I got a little jar of Starter Culture from work as an early Christmas present. It’s one of those gifts in which I was going to give it a undignified death in the back corner of my fridge. However, I thought I’d give it go and make some bread.

I was awful. Which I think spurred me on to make better loaves.

I’m getting pretty consistent in making light, fluffy, well risen examples which I’m pretty proud of.

I don’t know what has happened to me…

D88B3AC6-08A4-4A39-9311-BF0C16A2857D.thumb.jpeg.eefa8e3846cf9bfccfeca3cfb8eec8ce.jpeg

F7A7B57C-5635-401D-9666-9A4DDB90768D.jpeg

F5C807F6-C750-4D11-A655-6AFDC8A5F172.jpeg

DF3E17C0-44B6-436B-9A9E-549BB904A5FF.jpeg

B23B9093-7087-4201-8FC5-556D3A1F678F.jpeg

E37D0A0B-177F-4603-A60F-BE702F7EE7B2.jpeg

Great work.

I was doing sourdough for a while, I kept it going for a year or so. It's a nice little project and makes tasty bread. Mine were not as good as your loaves though. I didn't have the stamina in the end, to keep up with the nurturing that the starter needs every couple of days. Also, it doesn't work that well in a bread maker. I've been making my own bread for years, but with a machine for expediency. I just stick to making Kefir a couple times a week and Saurkraut occasionally. Seeing those pictures tempts me back to sourdough though..... ...

• Like 1

On 16/12/2023 at 09:29, sime42 said:

Seeing those pictures tempts me back to sourdough though..... ...

Do it!!!

Now my starter culture is a lot stronger, I find that I can cut a few corners without spoiling the loaf.

At first I had make levain and autolyse and get the hydration ratios just right. However, I can cut those steps out now and I just pour in un-fed discarded starter into the flour and water and I’m still getting the same results providing I’m leaving the dough to proof overnight as it takes longer to rise.

• Like 1