Shocked at the chemists!!!

PeteB

4 hours ago, pleasant said:

A few years ago we had a cat that was on regular monthly medication for the rest of her life....was costing me around £40 a month, so looked online. Identical stuff was £25 so went to order and they asked for a copy of the vets 'prescription' before they could sell to me. Went to vet and they said, yes we know you can get it cheaper online, but that's our price. If you want a copy of the vets prescription to take away every month so you can buy it online it will cost you £10 per month as the prescription is only valid for 30 days....it costs us time and money to produce a prescription which is why we charge. I think they thought for a saving of 'only' a fiver a month I wouldn't bother going elsewhere...but I did just out of spite!

The price of everything and the value of nothing.

Tight cnt :)

If I was that vet I would have told you to do one and get the online vet to diagnose and fill out all the relevant forms for your cat. 

1 minute ago, Mesterh said:

Well, I had no idea that it was up to those figures!

Scandalous to say the least.

And now the Welsh government have decided that every primary school child in wales should have free school meals.  That will cost about the same as employing 2000 teachers.  And of course the pressure is on for the schools to also feed those kids in the holidays as well.

I dare say this will reach England eventually.  And some people are daft enough to think that children go to school to be taught stuff!

4 hours ago, nepia said:

Well I'm not offering to pay for my meds; I'm on stuff that costs the NHS £1k a week!  No, I'm not going into details but there are a couple on here that will have some idea.

Hence I'm massively grateful for the NHS, the fact that I paid NI for so many years and to those paying now.  I salute you and wish you all a Merry Xmas!!!

£52k a year in meds and you think your NI contribution will cover that for how long?

You’ve taken from the national purse for how long? while no doubt drawing a fecking great pension. 

Beggars belief that people like this post.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

£52k a year in meds and you think your NI contribution will cover that for how long?

You’ve taken from the national purse for how long? while no doubt drawing a fecking great pension. 

Beggars belief that people like this post.

Now now Eggs, it was called national insurance  because it is supposed to spread the risk of the cost of health care. Many of us will not have illnesses that cost a lot to treat in our lifetime so our contributions cover the cost of those that do need it. The trouble is as we live longer and medical science produces more treatments keeping us alive gets more expensive and the rich would prefer to keep more of their money so they can avail themselves of advanced treatments as in the american model.

In the same way I insure things I have to, like my car, and those things I cannot afford to replace like my house, the insurer picks up the tab for loss of a car and bets (because insurers derived from bookies betting toffs which ships would sink) that the premiums will cover payouts plus a very generous profit.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Now now Eggs, it was called national insurance  because it is supposed to spread the risk of the cost of health care. Many of us will not have illnesses that cost a lot to treat in our lifetime so our contributions cover the cost of those that do need it. The trouble is as we live longer and medical science produces more treatments keeping us alive gets more expensive and the rich would prefer to keep more of their money so they can avail themselves of advanced treatments as in the american model.

In the same way I insure things I have to, like my car, and those things I cannot afford to replace like my house, the insurer picks up the tab for loss of a car and bets (because insurers derived from bookies betting toffs which ships would sink) that the premiums will cover payouts plus a very generous profit.

We all know that there is a generation that made massively out of this lifetime, I think they were known as baby boomers, some drew a wage from the state for many years, they also draw tidy pensions from the state, (admittedly they contributed to it) much more than some people earn for putting in todays graft. If you’ve got the money you should pay for your scripts. As much of a lefty I am I’m sick of people milking the system then blaming everyone else for it’s downfall. People with pensions that outweigh everyday wages  getting free meds, I ask ya.

1 minute ago, eggsarascal said:

We all know that there is a generation that made massively out of this lifetime, I think they were known as baby boomers, some drew a wage from the state for many years, they also draw tidy pensions from the state, (admittedly they contributed to it) much more than some people earn for putting in todays graft. If you’ve got the money you should pay for your scripts. As much of a lefty I am I’m sick of people milking the system then blaming everyone else for it’s downfall. People with pensions that outweigh everyday wages  getting free meds, I ask ya.

I was a baby boomer, worked on the tools after college till I was 59 when I did a quasi management job till I drew a state pension I did not intend to stop working and I did continue self employed and paying a little tax (as my income halved) until I had a health issue. I paid into a private pension fund half of which  brings me up to about half of the median wage since I turned 70, inflation is denting it. I do have an asset in half this house but that is not the point. Not many people can afford £1000/month for treatment and if I did I would look to the NHS.

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

And now the Welsh government have decided that every primary school child in wales should have free school meals.  

Excellent news. 

Shirley, no reasonable person could argue that that isn't a good idea.

My hard earned paying to feed kids is a good use of tax imo.

• Like 2