Chicken or the egg

Mightbe_lost

Hi all 

So let's see what lovely replies I get this time. 😉 

Just a quick question really about gaining experience,

I'll be gaining my cs30/31 tickets after xmas and in the meantime I've been asking around for any groundie/help work I can take on.

Im offering myself up for free as I am brand new and just greatful for the opportunity, but alot of places are asking that I have experience already.

How do I gain experience if I need experience to work?

Anything else I can do to boost my chances?

Or should I wait until I have my tickets so I'm a bit more useful?

Sidenote: knock off the 'Don't do it and the job is shit' messages, thanks👍 

To add:

I should have said.

I've emailed several big, small and one man band companies and asked in a few arb/forstry fb groups.

Edited by Mightbe_lost
Added info

Looking at social media it seems that firms are crying out for any staff from hotshot climbers to the lowest of the drag slags. 
When you say “asking around” what does that involve?

Go on Arbtalk Facebook and ask on there (giving your location) I’d be amazed if no one takes you up on your offer. 

3 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Looking at social media it seems that firms are crying out for any staff from hotshot climbers to the lowest of the drag slags. 
When you say “asking around” what does that involve?

Go on Arbtalk Facebook and ask on there (giving your location) I’d be amazed if no one takes you up on your offer. 

I should have said.

I've emailed several big, small and one man band companies and asked in a few arb/forstry fb groups.

I've been very upfront with my experience level and future plans.

Sidenote....should I be looking to get my own insurance etc now?

29 minutes ago, Mightbe_lost said:

Hi all 

So let's see what lovely replies I get this time. 😉 

Just a quick question really about gaining experience,

I'll be gaining my cs30/31 tickets after xmas and in the meantime I've been asking around for any groundie/help work I can take on.

Im offering myself up for free as I am brand new and just greatful for the opportunity, but alot of places are asking that I have experience already.

How do I gain experience if I need experience to work?

Anything else I can do to boost my chances?

Or should I wait until I have my tickets so I'm a bit more useful?

Sidenote: knock off the 'Don't do it and the job is shit' messages, thanks👍 

I think you've just got to try a few more places. Those that have said no so far must be a bit foolish and unreasonable. There's always non-skilled, labourious,  work to be done that doesn't require tickets or prior experience. Especially if it's being done for free! As long as you are prepared to knuckle down that should be all that's needed to start with.

Don't give up yet, you'll get there. Just need to find a decent outfit/boss.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mightbe_lost said:

I should have said.

I've been very upfront with my experience level and future plans.

Sidenote....should I be looking to get my own insurance etc now?

You don't need insurance. Any decent company will cover you with theirs at this stage.

I reckon actually knocking on doors is the way forward. Meeting people in person goes a long way, rather than in writing. They can tell far more about you, (and you them). Even a phone call is better, more opportunities for discussion and social interaction.

Spend a few hours visiting local firms. Late afternoon, early evening might be the best time.

• Thanks 1