Is this the wettest (firewood selling )autumn you have known !

cessna

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread. I thought it was just me - we’re just cutting enough firewood for ourselves, and what seemed dry enough in September is now fizzing like sherbet and sulking like a teenager. I’m having to give even these little sticks a day or two in my “dehumidifier kiln” (aka a big cupboard with a fan a heater and a dehumidifier)

IMG_7729.thumb.jpeg.ce58efddf6875287dcc46b72541a18fe.jpeg

Edited by Mr. Ed

even my kindling in the garden shed is damp never mind the logs in the log shed the air humidity has never been below 80% for the last few months had to invest in some fire lighter just to get the sticks burning. 

On 09/12/2023 at 11:49, gdh said:

I'm lucky that we can kiln dry everything but all the wood we take out goes back up to 17% in a couple of weeks even though it's in dry sheds. 

I thought things were improving last week but everywhere is getting cold and damp again now.

Thanks for this interesting post. Electric powered kilning? What sort of fuel cost do you see? 

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed said:

Thanks for this interesting post. Electric powered kilning? What sort of fuel cost do you see? 

We use biomass boilers for the drying. One uses woodchip and the other runs off all the processing waste plus there's a lot of fans and heat exchangers. Running costs are about £9-10 a cube I think.

20231201_101346.JPG

20231105_124621.JPG

20231008_160711.JPG

• Like 6

4 hours ago, gdh said:

We use biomass boilers for the drying. One uses woodchip and the other runs off all the processing waste plus there's a lot of fans and heat exchangers. Running costs are about £9-10 a cube I think.

20231201_101346.JPG

20231105_124621.JPG

20231008_160711.JPG

Crikey, that's the real deal . . . Er, I don't think I'll show you mine . . . How long does a load take?

48 minutes ago, Mr. Ed said:

Crikey, that's the real deal . . . Er, I don't think I'll show you mine . . . How long does a load take?

Haha, we have been doing it a while now but the principal is the same on any - heat and maximum air movement.

What we cut at the moment averages 10 days for 150cube.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gdh said:

20231201_101346.JPG

20231105_124621.JPG

20231008_160711.JPG

Really nice setup welshmen at work again 😁

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GarethM said:

Is that a Ala Talkkari boiler ?.

It's a sawdust boiler, very basic technology just with automated feed and water pumps. It's designed to burn damper wood cleanly so we can scrape the yards at the end of the day and burn all the waste.

20231117_151218.JPG

20231117_151307.JPG

20231117_151329.JPG

• Like 9