HELP1 Nightmare problems with Jensen Chipper

SyB

2 hours ago, SyB said:

That was the first assumption.  Apparently no problems there - no moisture and always keeping tank full to avoid this.  Not sure about debris in the tank - is it easy to tell ?

Any debris should be visible.  I was thinking it might settle in the tank. Then the vibration of running the chipper agitated it and sometimes causes a blockage, hence the fault being intermittent.  Just  clutching at straws really. If you and your mechanics can't suss it, it's probably not that?

The symptoms you describe do sound like a fuel problem. There is nothing worse than tracing a problem that is intermittant.

If you go to basics a diesel engine needs: 1) fuel

2) air

3) compression

I would think compression/ pump timing would be o.k. as you say it runs fine at times. I would try it with a temporary tank/fuel line/filter set up to eliminate any problems with the existing fuel supply system. As mentioned above use a new pump (not too expensive)

It could be there is the diesel is contaminated with the diesel bug but i would expect your workshop mechanics would have picked that up (it looks like the contents of a chimney sweeps hankerchief in the tank)😄

The other thing to try is remove the air hose to the inlet manifold when it starts smoking,( not while chipping) this will tell you if its a blocked or restricted air supply.

Good luck with it. Mick.

We had similar issues and it was crap in the tank, it would be fine if it was full up but any less than about half it would play up. Couldn’t see any debris in the tank but after I drained it I flushed it through you could see there was a fair bit of crap came out. That particular chipper actually had a drain bung on the bottom so guessed it was a common issue as my chipper that’s couple years older doesn’t have a drain 

Water sinks in petrol diesel so if your tank drains from the bottom, which I assume it does, drain the fuel in to a large clear bottle (or at least a couple of litres) and if the fuel looks milky, leave it for an hour and the fuel will clear and have water in the bottom of it. 

Like this.....(Pic Below) 

Also - a funnel with a piece of fine mesh in the bottom is a fab tool for shyte in the fuel!

image.thumb.jpeg.3951e5a8039dd3c7a41a85f78ac4c667.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, spudulike said:

Water sinks in petrol diesel so if your tank drains from the bottom, which I assume it does, drain the fuel in to a large clear bottle (or at least a couple of litres) and if the fuel looks milky, leave it for an hour and the fuel will clear and have water in the bottom of it. 

Like this.....(Pic Below) 

Also - a funnel with a piece of fine mesh in the bottom is a fab tool for shyte in the fuel!

image.thumb.jpeg.3951e5a8039dd3c7a41a85f78ac4c667.jpeg

Also from recollection I believe these tanks have a brass bush pressed into the bottom of the plastic tank... then a banjo bolt there. I can t just remember but I tjinknit was graham at fawcett plant that said these brass bushes could cone loose and give issues or maybe rhe banjo blocking.... been a while since I ran one. 

Last jensen I had, I did away with using the lift pump and fitted a 12v fuel pump in fairness