stihl 261 chains loosening

Rob Stringer

I assume the chain is oiling ok you never confirmed?

Its  very easy to tell (as already mentioned) it should  be flicking oil from end of bar.

A piece of cardboard should get a line of oil splatter after a few secs of revving.

Both veg oil and minieral chain oil can gum up the oil pump sometimes esp if the  chainsaw has being sat un- used for awhile.

Edited by Stere

This is one of those, that someone with a lot of experience will just look at it and instantly see what the problem is. Very difficult to make any judgement as to the issue without seeing it....as all these differing suggestions elude to.

Like they say, a picture paints a thousand words

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Rob Stringer said:

not an issue with the number of links, fits fine when chain is fresh then gradually loosens with use as ive said. Im just trying to figure out why so I can fix it.

Hi Rob, long time since we worked together at 60acre wood. If you are working nearby I could drop in and take a look.

• Like 7

Stihl bar lose all paint on 2 chains ,did any seen that ? Ms 261 last time checked 468 hours on it 80% paint still present on original bar, 4 rims and 15 chains according to my notebook . Never seen chain stretch that much ,obviously something is very wrong,if it me I replace clutch drum and rim ,new bar and chain immediately ,also partially disassemble and check all tings right I think it’s clear as a day saying mildly.If oiler is not Woking correctly chain will overheat quickly and you will not be able to cut anything the clutch will slip or saw will bogg down you will see smoke from the drum clutch and so on there is more experienced people there on fixing the saws , but you said 15 years cutting you should feel any little changes in saw performance ,I easily predicting dirty filters ,worn spark plugs and crank seals ,worn chain bars just when I cutting stuff not even open it.

Edited by Sviatoslav Tulin