Scribed Log Cabin builders

trigger_andy

Im not sure which sub-forum best suits this question so I'll ask here. :)

Im looking into the possibility of potentially dividing up the plot of land my house is on, selling a parcel with Planning Permission then selling the House then moving further into the sticks and having a fully scribed Log Cabin built. Its all in the musing stage just now as I still have a lot of refurbishing work to do in the house for the next year or two. But I really like the idea of buying a ploy of land and living in a Log Cabin and potentially be mortgage free. 

Having had a look at a couple of websites I see its common to go for either the log only option or you can go for the fully wind/water tight option.

Anyone here have any first hand experience in having one built for them? Anyone know anyone they'd recommend

Can they be built to new build planning regs or would a hybrid be a better option?.

Wasn't @peds a new build timber, not sure about the regs tho.

Personally I wouldn't want a wood house, I've seen enough woodworm to last a lifetime to want as little wood in any of my buildings 🙂.

Edited by GarethM

12 hours ago, GarethM said:

Can they be built to new build planning regs or would a hybrid be a better option?.

Wasn't @peds a new build timber, not sure about the regs tho.

Personally I wouldn't want a wood house, I've seen enough woodworm to last a lifetime to want as little wood in any of my buildings 🙂.

From looking at a few UK based Log Cabin websites they at least claim they can be. Id certainly consider a hybrid if that was the only way. 

A Wooden house really does not bother me, a huge proportion of houses built in Scandinavia are from Wood. I know of two Log Cabins on a local Estate that where built in the 90's and they are doing amazingly well as full time homes. 

Ive now been tentatively offered to look around my mates Estate to pick out a plot together so when I get back from Off-shore we'll take a drive around. Im quite excited by that prospect. 

Certainly worth a look if they can back up their claims, plus whatever additions the Scottish government also adds for you up in the frozen north, something about inward opening windows wasn't it ?.

I've two projects on the go, commercial workshop/barn rebuild and then the house. It's that wet round here the woodworm and woodlice probably coexist to stop them from drowning.

The water table is that high it literally overflows the well!.

• Like 1

On that barnwood builders USA telly prog some places they do are very posh from  reclaimed logs from 100yr olds plus buildings.

Whats  a hybrid  - half concrete blocks/ timber framed & half log cabin or  log cladding infront of conventional?

No place for insulation  on theese?

They look great esp I like the dovetail ones

I'm sure it's something to do with being able to clean them without needing a ladder.

Pretty sure it was on grand designs or one of those equally ridiculous TV shows where they want to build a mansion on the size of a postage stamp with the budget of a Sunday paper.

Inevitably ending up over budget & pregnant, but not from whoring the wife out to pay for the overspend.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I'm sure it's something to do with being able to clean them without needing a ladder.

Pretty sure it was on grand designs or one of those equally ridiculous TV shows where they want to build a mansion on the size of a postage stamp with the budget of a Sunday paper.

Inevitably ending up over budget & pregnant, but not from whoring the wife out to pay for the overspend.

Don’t forget they always buy themselves an immaculate white hard hat and a hi-viz and decide to ‘project manage it themselves’.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mark Bolam said:

Don’t forget they always buy themselves an immaculate white hard hat and a hi-viz and decide to ‘project manage it themselves’.

Half the time I expect the workforce during filming to turn around and ask who they are.

• Haha 1