Chain Tensino

gobbypunk

On 30/09/2023 at 00:12, gobbypunk said:

Hi so I havent had my 4ft milling bar out in a long time but had it out for a job today and I know it isnt a sprocket nosed bar but the chain tension was all over the place I would set it then as soon as I introduced the mill into the log it would just go real slack but if I kept going a little it would tighten a tad then finish the cut and rev the saw to clear it switch it off and it would be slack refuel and look again and tight so I dismantled the whole thing rebuilt it all and it didnt make any F###ing difference so any ideas what is going on ? It really really did my head in !!! Looking forward to your thoughts 

Cheers.  Mark

It isn't a sprocket nose bar is the issue. Is it this one the Stihl Duromatic 47" bar?

image.png.70177b8a07bd29dd0b5471f55e1fb47d.png

It always has been an issue with that bar - chain tension can never stay true - I think it's an archaic bar for when you had the 070 and 090 etc and they never used to rev that high.

With the MS880 and MS881 it gets hot and then chain tension is all over the place - it never stays right. We don't sell them for this reason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys as I dont get the Alaskan out as much as I used to before I broke my Ankle things that used to be so obvious get a bit foggy so as its looking like a few more Alaskan jobs coming up I think its time to look for a new 4ft milling bar what would you lot recommend .

Thanks guys

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Thanks guys as I dont get the Alaskan out as much as I used to before I broke my Ankle things that used to be so obvious get a bit foggy so as its looking like a few more Alaskan jobs coming up I think its time to look for a new 4ft milling bar what would you lot recommend .

Thanks guys

Not 4ft not my 46" Sugi is brilliant on the Eco mill.  The 404 means I lose a board with the wide kerf. But it just rips.

I don't know the state of your saw but when I did get them in, I always looked at the oil pinion gear that has the arm on it that locates on the clutch drum. The arm on these can stop gripping the plastic pinion gear and you get a fall off in oiling. 

Once I saw this on a couple of machines, I would always check this on all the machines I had in. 

Yours may well be the solid nose bar issue as Rob D has pointed out but worth checking the oiler pinion for the issue mentioned above. The arm should be a nice tight fit and not move on the pinion without using a bit of force.

Pic as below: -

Spur Worm Gear & Spring Kit For Stihl 088 MS880 Chainsaw 1124 640 7512 1124  640 7512

• Like 1