Chain Tensino

gobbypunk

Hi so I havent had my 4ft milling bar out in a long time but had it out for a job today and I know it isnt a sprocket nosed bar but the chain tension was all over the place I would set it then as soon as I introduced the mill into the log it would just go real slack but if I kept going a little it would tighten a tad then finish the cut and rev the saw to clear it switch it off and it would be slack refuel and look again and tight so I dismantled the whole thing rebuilt it all and it didnt make any F###ing difference so any ideas what is going on ? It really really did my head in !!! Looking forward to your thoughts 

Cheers.  Mark

Clutch drum bearing disintegrating or collapsing? Or worse case scenario crank bearings failing or crank bent. Remove  bar and cover and see if your clutch drum is running elliptically . Watch the gap between the drum and the body of the saw 

Edited by pleasant

Its almost brand new even though I have had it for a few yrs now it dont get used that often its prob only got 20 ish hours of work its done  I always slacken the chain off after use so the crank isnt under preasure ,I am sure I can remember having issues with this 4ft solid nosed bar when I first had the Alaskan but cant remember

I can only think of a few things that can slacken the chain - wear (mainly when it's new), heat, or the powerhead rocking forward on the bar slots.

If it's getting tight and slack on its own then temperature seems likely , so not oiling properly seems a good candidate but also there is more friction in the plain nosed bar. 

Have you got another bar? In be really good to run it with a roller nosed bar even if it's only 36" crosscutting to see all is well doing that.