Why can’t we…

eggsarascal

On 27/09/2023 at 19:51, eggsarascal said:

Build things on schedule and on budget. HS2 (to mention one) is a shambles that’s massively over budget and overdue. Discuss…

Because they take far too much time so everyone can get a foot in the door, jump on the gravy train and create jobs for the boys.

They should axe it now and right it off as a loss. Shirley there are far fewer people needing to travel to work and back these days compared to was it 2010 when it was proposed?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sime42 said:

destroy hundreds of acres of ancient woodland.

I'm sure I heard somewhere they justified it because they'd moved some soil (carrying the essence of an ancient woodland) to a copse somewhere out the way which meant it was basically an ancient woodland now.

Probably.

I've heard removing ancient woodland justified by the promise to plant hundreds of new trees, (into made up ground and half will more than likely die after the first year anyway).

The people that make these massive decisions really have no idea. Or even worse; they do but don't care a damn about the consequences of what they do.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sime42 said:

Probably.

I've heard removing ancient woodland justified by the promise to plant hundreds of new trees, (into made up ground and half will more than likely die after the first year anyway).

The people that make these massive decisions really have no idea. Or even worse; they do but don't care a damn about the consequences of what they do.

Found what I was reading I think, they call it Translocation. Move some soil and a bit of wood to another place and apparently you've  moved the ancient woodland.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Soil is being moved to new sites but ecologists question whether the process is effective.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Doug Tait said:

Found what I was reading I think, they call it Translocation. Move some soil and a bit of wood to another place and apparently you've  moved the ancient woodland.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Soil is being moved to new sites but ecologists question whether the process is effective.

A relative was involved in that as an ecologist, and walked off site. 

Ecology for HS2 is simply a box ticking exercise. 

• Like 5

In a nutshell….

- consultancy fees 

- time spent + 20% (no all risk costs/price work)

- stand down fees (contractors getting paid to do nothing) 

- compulsory purchase/compensation 

- Ecology & planning

- all of the above milking it for all it’s worth

the list could go on and on, as feckless as the ecology work going on is it’s a small proportion of the overspend. I was awarded (subcontracted) in to undertake grassland translocation works…..lead ecologist had never project managed such works same can be said for the woodland trans works 👍

• Like 1