Chain Oil

Max Stickland

With titchy saws a thinner oil is usually best, and Stihl is usually pretty thin so that’s probably a good shout.

I bought Mam a cheapo mini saw for busting up pallets etc. from Amazon.

£50 inc charger and 2 batteries.

It doesn’t even have an oiler.

I just drizzled Co-Op veg oil onto the bar and told her to do that before every session.

My 9 year old daughter thought it performed ok, in her safety sliders.

• Like 8

I am surprised a new mini saw doesnt come with a small bottle of their recommended chain oil to get you started.

The cordless mini stihl saw comes with one, which is available to purchase either in the small size bottle supplied with the saw or a larger one. The stihl saw hasnt got an auto oiler, so when applied you are likely to use slightly more than if it were oiling itself. It is a thinner grade than the regular chain oil,  but still retains the correct amount of 'stickiness' to prevent it simply being thrown off the chain the minute you start it.

Use the correct stuff. Will save on premature wear on chains, bars, sprockets etc. Oil is cheap, components arent.

As someone has said.....certainly dont use used engine oil...lost count how many chewed up oil pump drives ive had to replace!

Remember, the correct grade is also designed to not only lubricate but also cool moving components. We had a guy bring a saw into us with a melted oil tank housing and seized sprocket tip on the bar and wanted it sorted under warranty (it was a plastic bodied saw) we couldnt work out how all this happened until we drained out what was left in the oil tank to inspect it, and the oil that came out was bright red. Turns chap though oil was oil, and used his 2 stroke oil as chain oil. Didnt cool enough, overheated the bar and chain....heat transmitted to chainsaw body and melted it. 

Edited by pleasant

Sounds mindlessly presciptive.

Anti fling  properties isn'y gonna be much issue on I think on a 10cm  & bar low speed chain.

And makitas own brand  oil won't be better suited  than stihl or others just because its a makita chainsaw and vice versa?

P-21179__79053.1671229634.jpg?c=1

Not having an oiler makes the stihl on sound abit  rubbish expect that from the cheapo ebay chinsese ones but would expect better from stihl.

Sometimes the correct, recommended way to advise someone can be 'mindlessly presciptive' particularly if you have already formed your own opinion.

You misread what I said as well, which is,  Stihl produce a particularly lighter chain oil specifically for their hand held mini pruner, which is significantly different to their regular offering and different to the Makita one you have compared it to.

WWW.STIHL.CO.UK

Multioil Bio: For the GTA 26 garden pruner

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1