Saker Mini chainsaw

Fatboy2017

I received a Saker mini chainsaw today. My wife has been pressing me to order one but after reading a post on another thread decided to give it a go. To be honest it was a pleasant surprize! It makes pruning and limbing much quicker and more efficient. I was using a Silky and on limbs bigger than 1",a small chainsaw, but this cuts it down to one tool and certainly is safer than using the small saw. I got it direct from Saker UK and it arrived two days after order. It definitely has a place in the line-up and a lot more forgiving on the carpel tunnel and the wife can now do that job!!  

4 hours ago, Fatboy2017 said:

I received a Saker mini chainsaw today. My wife has been pressing me to order one but after reading a post on another thread decided to give it a go. To be honest it was a pleasant surprize! It makes pruning and limbing much quicker and more efficient. I was using a Silky and on limbs bigger than 1",a small chainsaw, but this cuts it down to one tool and certainly is safer than using the small saw. I got it direct from Saker UK and it arrived two days after order. It definitely has a place in the line-up and a lot more forgiving on the carpel tunnel and the wife can now do that job!!  

Pictures ? Edit . The wife , not the saw 🙂

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Being a battery saw, as soon as you release the switch the chain stops almost instantly, plus they have a guard above the bar / chain and as they are so light and the balance point is pretty close to spot on, there is no chance of a kickback. When I use my small saw (either a Makita 3500 or 3501 or Dolmar dcs 401) whilst coppicing or limbing, particularly or holly, hawthorn or leylandii, it's common to catch a neighbouring  limb which puts you in danger of kickback

They are handy. That saker one is a generic chinese one with saker labels. Some idiot advertises same think on one of the shopping channels.

Yes, they do have a place. We have been selling the stihl one since it first came out..been very popular. However being light, pretty much zero noise and can easily be picked up and used, they do make people safety complacent and people forget its still a chain whizzing round as you wield it all over the place. Unlike a regular chainsaw people see no reason to adopt much if any ppe and what it is designed for you are always going to be in closer proximity to it than a regular ground saw. Because people use them on whippy bits (even shown in adverts) they hold the 'twig' in one hand and the tool in the other....generally far to close to each other.  No mention in the blurb for the domestic consumer (their main market) that the machine is only as good as the sharpness of the chain. Joe public think the chains go on forever being sharp. Plus there no auto oiler so oiling tends to be forgotten or deliberately avoided 

• Like 2

Makitas version has a proper oiler i noticed.

Already have the dinky 18v makita topper so don't really see the need for one as any thing smaller  can also be done with decent loppers or silky

Agree about the safety issues bit like one handing a topper on the ground best avoided if possible.

• Like 1