Waterproof Rigger Boots.

sime42

1 hour ago, Will C said:

Rigger boots are just pure evil. Everyone I know that likes them has buggered ankles and they’re worse than wellies for being uncomfortable in my opinion! I just live in saw boots or wellies if I absolutely have to for a few hours! 

You need 2 things in life good boots and a good bed - if your not in one you’re in the other!  

Are they made of leather from the skin of puppies or unborn babies or something?!

I take your point about lack of ankle support though. I noticed that they're banned on building sites now, maybe that's why.

I should have said; I don't wear them for working anymore really, more just for kicking around, walking, camping or whatever. Not having to bother with laces, slip on/off, is a big plus point.

Sealskin socks are great, as are chainsaw boots for a year at least if they are looked after, I asked a few years back on here about boots when they stopped making the caterpillar Sheffield boots and was recommended the Dewalt titanium. They are very good boots, waterproof easy to keep clean and you can get them from Screwfix. Don’t confuse them with other Dewalt boots, these are nearly £100 and are waterproof. Very comfortable from the off too 👍

IMG_0524.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I think the "modern" version of rigger boots (ie approved for use on oil rigs) is the side zip ones, which you can take on and off without touching the laces.

Comfier (more supportive) than rigger boots, but not as good as proper boots

I use either safety wellies, dealer boots, or side zip boots as my outdoor slippers, but proper boots if you're in them all day

WWW.HAZCHEMSAFETY.COM

The ORKA Vulcan Boot provides a competitive price point yet offers fantastic features and protection meaning it is ideal for oil and gas, rail, utilities and engineering. A comfortable zip sided...

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, scbk said:

I think the "modern" version of rigger boots (ie approved for use on oil rigs) is the side zip ones, which you can take on and off without touching the laces.

Comfier (more supportive) than rigger boots, but not as good as proper boots

I use either safety wellies, dealer boots, or side zip boots as my outdoor slippers, but proper boots if you're in them all day

WWW.HAZCHEMSAFETY.COM

The ORKA Vulcan Boot provides a competitive price point yet offers fantastic features and protection meaning it is ideal for oil and gas, rail, utilities and engineering. A comfortable zip sided...

The fact is what happens with the above types is they are worn ultra loose to facilitate the same easy on easy off we had with the old Jallatte type rigger boots( my personal favourite) I use Diablo lace ups with zips and can slip them on and off easier than the aforementioned types. 
On a slightly similar topic, I recall having a lot of sprained ankles for the first 12 months after leaving the army, years of wearing high leg combat boots with good lateral ankle support had obviously had a negative effect  , so I’m not overly concerned regarding the safety guys advice offshore when it comes to the boots. 

• Like 1

There used to be a couple of old geezers, from Buckie/Fraserburgh/Peterhead or somewhere who would go round the shows/big car boots etc in the north selling offshore surplus gear at knockdown prices. Not seen them for a few years now :sad:

Overalls/boots/jackets etc etc

All boots £20 a pair, no matter what they cost new, brand new unworn. I was once almost tempted by a pair of firefighting boots that were near enough knee high, would be good for nights out in the town.

Have a look at these

GSWORKWEAR.COM

The B701 rigger boot style features built-in ankle protection and supreme leg-ankle support, helped in part by the implementation of a shaped leg stem and padded thicker padded ankle area...

I wouldn't go wading in them but they're pretty good for waterproofing. Wax helps of course. They do another type with more plastic moulding but they split on me and I got a full refund. Bought the ones above and v happy so far, kept the others for outdoor slippers. V comfy but I got them a size up and added extra insoles too.

Trick is I think if it's proper raining just wear wellies. If I'm working on rough slopes with or without the saw or walking miles I wear lace up chainsaw  boots but the riggers are great for most other work and definitely the kindest to my feet.