The Arbalk morning register!

Stephen Blair

20 hours ago, gand said:

Good shout. Mental health needs to be talked about, it's a big thing in this industry that no one shares. Glad you shared this as it might get others to speak up 👍

I'll share this with you all:

I was a full time NHS GP until April 2001. In December 2000 I had a meltdown due to ridiculous work pressure. Decided my head was worth looking after. Very lucky in that my wife was also a (part time) GP, so we could afford to take a financial hit. Trained and set up as part time tree surgeon/part time GP for 12 years, then at age 53 decided it was time to give up the desk job and go full time on the trees. To my last day at work I still loved dealing with patients, even the few awkward ones, but I felt I should retire before I irritated my partners too much. They didn't have the luxury of a new career, and being able to acknowledge fully that half the stuff we were having to do was bollocks, and detracting from proper patient care.

Out of interest, gand, when you say mental health is a big thing in this industry, I assume you mean people take up this type of work to help with mental health, rather than this industry causes the problem?

Cheers all.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, maybelateron said:

Out of interest, gand, when you say mental health is a big thing in this industry, I assume you mean people take up this type of work to help with mental health, rather than this industry causes the problem?

Cheers all.

Unfortunately I don't. I know of far to many people that have mental health issues due to doing the job. Some folk put far to much pressure on themselves and it buggers them up. It was starting to happen to me so I got out when I realised it was happening to me. I'm lucky in the fact I knew depression was setting in due to the job and moved on. Yes I miss it. As when it's good it's good. I love climbing and felling, and I keep my hand in, but I'm far happier in the knowledge my income is stable and I'm passing my experience on to others. 

• Like 2