Rough cut mower

gardenservices

On 26/08/2023 at 14:21, doobin said:

Better off with a hydrostatic Scag or Ferris.  Otherwise the BCS are a pain to shunt about. Not live drive so you have to pull the clutch and wait for the flail to run down before you can change direction. 

I’m in Sussex and have a 36” Scag flail I’d part with relatively cheap if you’re not too far. 

I have to say though, for grass you are always better off with a rotary than a flail. 

Good points, I'll avoid the BCS then.  Yes I'm in sussex, pls could you DM me info on the mower you've got?  

Hayter Condor is a decent enough mower, spinning discs with tips, hydrostatic drive with thumb control. 30" cut so can fit in through gateways, and wide enough to be a decent speed.

A lot of the places it goes it only just fits with a fag paper to spare

If I was near @doobin I would buy his scag flail, that would be a handy machine to keep on the shelf, but I can't be bothered with a 1,300 mile round trip :driver:

P1080427x.thumb.jpg.00221c5279fe56407a023189796577ad.jpg

P1080429x.thumb.jpg.a1e363832d7b1ce3f65847c64e7ec6d9.jpg

P1080432x.thumb.jpg.150c76b4dd982b916a9d06c8dc909629.jpg

On 25/08/2023 at 18:55, Mick Jones said:

Hayterette 18" would be a good shout. Quite old now but swingtip blades on a disc cut almost anything. No drive though.

Depends on the area, but a decent hayterette would be my shout. Only a 19" cut though, but fine for domestic area use. Probably the best mower hayter ever made

• 1 month later...
On 26/08/2023 at 19:29, Stere said:

AS 63 4T B&S looks like a nice modern eqivalent of the hayter

AS-Motor_AS-63-4T-BuS_studio_web-768x480

Scag abit  heavy to get in back of a van?

Don't touch these mowers

Over engineered. I had an AS rotary collector mower. An internal belt bust after a year or two. I wrecked the machine trying to access the belt. It was mission impossible. A very expensive disposable mower. Radmore and Tucker used to sell them. I wonder why they stopped... Not saying they are all equally difficult to repair.

9 hours ago, NJA said:

Well... got flogged this thing by @doobin - good to meet you pal.  Thats the paddocks cracked out.

Think I'll be finding excuses to do deals on more stuff in that barn of yours...

20231007_153023.jpg

20231007_161313.jpg

You animal, that really is properly long grass!

good to meet you too. I’m afraid it’s rare that I sell things. Only when they don’t fit the work I do really.  That zero turn was great for the churchyards until the grass was damp and a slight slope.- especially with gravestones to avoid.  Having changed to 4wd and a smaller deck I’m pleased with it- the mulch deck actually works and leaves very little even in quite long grass. 

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, doobin said:

You animal, that really is properly long grass!

good to meet you too. I’m afraid it’s rare that I sell things. Only when they don’t fit the work I do really.  That zero turn was great for the churchyards until the grass was damp and a slight slope.- especially with gravestones to avoid.  Having changed to 4wd and a smaller deck I’m pleased with it- the mulch deck actually works and leaves very little even in quite long grass. 

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

I did tell you😂😂  that's why I was convinced I needed the scag.  But appreciate the advice and v happy with this.  Now I've got it down I'll probably keep it a bit shorter.  The real long stuff is the oxeye daisy's.  Only using it on the flat really so should be fine.  

I borrowed one of those husqvarnas a few weeks ago, really impressed they get anywhere and leave a really good finish.

Just joking can't justify anything else for the time being😏😔

Personally I find a rotary gives a better finish but I find a flail is more tolerant of hitting things - stumps/branches.

I keep an ancient 1990s ride on Bolens mulching mower limping along.   When it dies, I'll probably go for a 50-70 hp 4WD tractor with a 5 ft PTO driven flail. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Personally I find a rotary gives a better finish but I find a flail is more tolerant of hitting things - stumps/branches.

I keep an ancient 1990s ride on Bolens mulching mower limping along.   When it dies, I'll probably go for a 50-70 hp 4WD tractor with a 5 ft PTO driven flail. 

5ft wont even cover the wheelings of a 50-70hp tractor. I'd stick with a compact 40hp max personally.