Chain saw course [CS30??]

john87

Hi all,

I have been offered the chance to do a chainsaw course [for free]. I would do it, but am a bit concerned...

I have read a little bit about what is expected of you, and apparently they expect you to take your saw all to bits, taking out the plug, removing the air filter and taking off the recoil starter etc??

Is this correct?? Not being funny, i am not taking one of my pristine saws all to bits unnecessarily and very definitely not in the middle of some field.

What if you just tell the assessor how you would do it if you wanted to??

Can you get them to supply THEIR saw for you to take to bits?? I will gladly do that..

john..

• Haha 1

It’s only to show you can do basic maintenance, you haven’t got to strip anything down you wouldn’t on site to keep the day running. It’s not engine rebuild it’s 10 min to prove you can do very basic repairs. If your saw is pristine it will be a piece of piss. 

What i mean is, apparently, for example they want you to remove the air filter and clean it. Well, others can do as they like, but;

1, I am not taking the air filter off unless they have an air line so i can blow out all the internals of the saw first,

and 2, i am most certainly not brushing the dust off the thing.

The saw i would use, has a funny papery sort of filter. I DID try to brush it once, but all you do is to smear the oily stuff that accumulates on it into the filter medium..

john..

The air filter and spark plug is very basic and only needs a standard chainsaw tool. If you want your saw to stay pristine (that's unlikely felling anyway) then it's important to know. They use the colour of the spark plug to check the fuel mix is why they remove it 

Starter cord is a bit more work but you'll probably just take the cover off and it's very useful to know how it works.

Cs30 includes basic maintenance so I can't see you'll get out of it and it's really not much work anyway.

Just now, john87 said:

What i mean is, apparently, for example they want you to remove the air filter and clean it. Well, others can do as they like, but;

1, I am not taking the air filter off unless they have an air line so i can blow out all the internals of the saw first,

The saw i would use, has a funny papery sort of filter. I DID try to brush it once, but all you do is to smear the oily stuff that accumulates on it into the filter medium..

john..

It's only things you should be doing anyway, daily, weekly, monthly. 

1 minute ago, john87 said:

john..

I can't see the problem personally but the maintenance will be the first part of the course so your saw should be clean to take apart anyway.

9 hours ago, john87 said:

Hi all,

I have been offered the chance to do a chainsaw course [for free]. I would do it, but am a bit concerned...

I have read a little bit about what is expected of you, and apparently they expect you to take your saw all to bits, taking out the plug, removing the air filter and taking off the recoil starter etc??

Is this correct?? Not being funny, i am not taking one of my pristine saws all to bits unnecessarily and very definitely not in the middle of some field.

What if you just tell the assessor how you would do it if you wanted to??

Can you get them to supply THEIR saw for you to take to bits?? I will gladly do that..

john..

They'll probably provide their own saws for you to take apart. You can also submit a drawing in crayons of how you would Fell a tree rather than having to do it 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, john87 said:

Yes i do, but i blow all the shit out of the thing first with an air line. Doubt they have one of them in the middle of a field.

john..

Cs30 is usually classroom with some benches. Clean your saw first.

I didn't think I'd learn much when I did CS30, but I did.

• Like 3