Why bother?

hedge mong

2 minutes ago, hedge mong said:

Lol well there the daft ones paying higher costs when the insurance is not valid 99.7% of the time.

In no way are you meeting any insurance requirements working that close to a road with a stump grinder fence barrier like that.

It's the OH that requires the screen to be erected, she's worried about competition from the general public if they see how good I look grinding! 

• Haha 4

57 minutes ago, hedge mong said:

Have you read the insurance policy terms on grinding customers at the roadside?

No, you must have missed it earlier when I told you I don't have insurance, I don't require it in any way.

Would you post a picture of your roadside stump grinding jobs so I can see how you differ pls.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

He was surprised the stumps weren't part of the removal quote as in his opinion, the hedge comprises of everything from trunks, branches and roots, even the dead leaf litter left on the ground inside the hedge over the years.

Yes, I learnt this concept many years ago. We felled a couple of small trees in a small garden for a prickly (right witch) old lady. We cut the stumps near the ground and left the place spotless.

A week or so later she rang me saying she had tripped over the one stump and nearly broken every bone ion her body, and it was a trip hazard. The other stump now had something very smelly on top of it and what was I planning to do about it? I tried explaining the quote did not in, from thclude stump removal/grinding but she started to be right arsey and said she would go to trading standards. These days I would just say go ahead. Anyway, the stump with something smelly on it has fox/badger poo on it. The one that nearly killed her was so tight into a corner I didn't believe she had been anywhere near it, she just wanted it gone. 

We took the grinder and ground out the stump, but not until we had put warning signs near every step in the garden! Quite enjoyed the polite piss take.

Needless to say, from that day forwards I have always described the job as "fell tree, cutting stump near to ground." Never had a problem since.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Yes, I learnt this concept many years ago. We felled a couple of small trees in a small garden for a prickly (right witch) old lady. We cut the stumps near the ground and left the place spotless.

A week or so later she rang me saying she had tripped over the one stump and nearly broken every bone ion her body, and it was a trip hazard. The other stump now had something very smelly on top of it and what was I planning to do about it? I tried explaining the quote did not in, from thclude stump removal/grinding but she started to be right arsey and said she would go to trading standards. These days I would just say go ahead. Anyway, the stump with something smelly on it has fox/badger poo on it. The one that nearly killed her was so tight into a corner I didn't believe she had been anywhere near it, she just wanted it gone. 

We took the grinder and ground out the stump, but not until we had put warning signs near every step in the garden! Quite enjoyed the polite piss take.

Needless to say, from that day forwards I have always described the job as "fell tree, cutting stump near to ground." Never had a problem since.

Wanted to like and laugh at that post in equal measure!

Edited by Doug Tait
You sure she didn't trip over the badger having a dump?

1 hour ago, maybelateron said:

I always try to remember to ask if they want me to quote on stump grinding as well. Say the cheapest thing is to put a plant pot on, so not too much of a sales pitch, but it makes it nice and clear what we're doing and half the time sell a nice extra.

• Like 2