Favourite Firewood

Elliott.F

Elm for me! This was the last of 96 huge Elms we had from one parish! This all went for firewood but most of the others went for pitprops with firewood as the cash crop! 1985. Ringed by Stihl 080 and then axed or used circular saw on site. 

20230810_213000.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, PeteB said:

Elm for me! This was the last of 96 huge Elms we had from one parish! This all went for firewood but most of the others went for pitprops with firewood as the cash crop! 1985. Ringed by Stihl 080 and then axed or used circular saw on site. 

20230810_213000.jpg

Seems amazing now that such a beautiful timber could go for firewood.  I wish I could get hold of elm logs for milling these days.  I realise I could get them from Scotland but that does make the transport cost high!

11 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Seems amazing now that such a beautiful timber could go for firewood.  I wish I could get hold of elm logs for milling these days.  I realise I could get them from Scotland but that does make the transport cost high!

Get yourself and the Missus up for weekend away to black Isle! Some epic stands of Elm waiting there! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hawthorn/Quickhorn/Whitethorn.

Cut last March, when Ian McClelland removed the dying roadside Ash trees. 

Full of sap and left stacked uncut in the round until sometime this spring or early summer.

Brought into the shed and I ran  the thinner stuff run through the firewood saw, merely cut to length, not split, up the elevator into a pile, the heavier stuff I left in a pile in the shed, thinking I might salvage some of the heavier lengths for future woodworking projects like breadboards.

BUT! it developed cracks I could stick my fingers into(must get pics tomorrow) so it will all be for firewood, and, hey! no need to bother splitting it.

Anyway, I brought a couple of banana boxes of arm to leg thick logs in this past couple of days, and it burns so so beauitfully, even when a mere  2 lonely logs were set on the near dying embers, like this evening.

So it must be dammned dry.

And the heat!

So thats my favourite firewood.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Not my favourite, but up there....

Sweet Chestnut. It's hot and most of all I see it as a renewable.

Favourites .. Oak, Ash and nice dry Silver Birch are great, but when they are gone they are gone.

Pretty sure if I'm still alive I'll be burning Sw/Ch in 20 years from the same plantation. 

Sorry #rantover no more preaching. 

Update to this - a crane took out a hawthorn hedge (1 bush only) so that will be for next year, but had some Alder earlier in the year - a few bits I tried before the rain started looked like they would be good to go,

(Currently have a HC and Leyllandi on the drive to finish splitting, beech and alder stacked to dry and beech and some cherry to burn now, not enough, not sure which I am liking best this year yet). Oh and some more softwoods in the mix too

• Like 1