Rot in fallen branch

Question

Good morning all,

just wanted opinions on sycamore tree in my garden. Large branch fell during the high winds on the weekend. Looks like there was some rot in the area that broke. Is the damaged remaining branch ok to be left as it is, or should i have it removed? I assume the rot will only get worse.

many thanks

samIMG_3613.thumb.jpeg.d0f59acad1aedb93d559401c7105fc77.jpegIMG_3619.thumb.png.ac4a2bfbea8093c57a68e449bdc107c1.pngIMG_3613.thumb.jpeg.4944123c28836c5b043a2f7b94c4fba7.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Samc46 said:

Good morning all,

just wanted opinions on sycamore tree in my garden. Large branch fell during the high winds on the weekend. Looks like there was some rot in the area that broke. Is the damaged remaining branch ok to be left as it is, or should i have it removed? I assume the rot will only get worse.

many thanks

samIMG_3613.thumb.jpeg.d0f59acad1aedb93d559401c7105fc77.jpegIMG_3619.thumb.png.ac4a2bfbea8093c57a68e449bdc107c1.pngIMG_3613.thumb.jpeg.4944123c28836c5b043a2f7b94c4fba7.jpeg

Looks like it was started by Included bark in the union .I don't think it will affect the rest of the limb . 

• Like 1

Looks likk compression fork failure, very common. I'd give it a chance to put on reaction wood around teh breakage, and if I was woorried about breakage in teh meantime I'd brace the remaining section to a good adjacent stem, leave it loose to allow flexing but tight enough to catch it if it breaks.

Urban sycamores get bashed about because it's too big a tree for a city garden. I would guess it's been cut back hard some years ago and the narrow fork has happened because of the sprouting response to that.

Check for other similar narrow forks, if you don't feel confident to recognise then get someone in. 

14 hours ago, daltontrees said:

Looks likk compression fork failure, very common. I'd give it a chance to put on reaction wood around teh breakage, and if I was woorried about breakage in teh meantime I'd brace the remaining section to a good adjacent stem, leave it loose to allow flexing but tight enough to catch it if it breaks.

It's an ugly tree in an unsuitable location near to houses, apart from the expense I would have it out.

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

It's an ugly tree in an unsuitable location near to houses, apart from the expense I would have it out.

Each to their own. The pictures suggest that it is doing a good job of blocking intervisibility from houses across the way.

• Like 1

Hi, thank you all for your responses. Much appreciated. @daltontrees is right the Trees do a good job of creating some privacy in the garden. There are actually 3 sycamores in this garden in close proximity to one another all with TPOs on them. They are approx 40ft away from the house 2 very close to each other on the right hand side. I would like to have the one in question removed if it was possible but I think it’s unlikely to be given the go ahead by council . My neighbour has had drain problems due to roots, and there is a retaining wall on her side that is being forced over due to its location on the boundary line.

My main concern at this point is that this branch is safe. some more photos of the damage.

IMG_3625.jpeg

IMG_3626.jpeg

IMG_3627.jpeg