Apple tree

RobG 86

Good evening everyone, hope you’re well. Due to the bad weather I’ve been asked to look at the damage of an apple tree I’ve gone and taken a look and give my opinion. Not sure they liked what I said. I was just Just interested to find out if your opinion  would be the same as mine.   Please find attached photos. Thanks. 

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2801.jpeg

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_2800.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg

IMG_2791.jpeg

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

4 minutes ago, RobG 86 said:

Good evening everyone, hope you’re well. Due to the bad weather I’ve been asked to look at the damage of an apple tree I’ve gone and taken a look and give my opinion. Not sure they liked what I said. I was just Just interested to find out if your opinion  would be the same as mine.   Please find attached photos. Thanks. 

IMG_2808.jpeg

IMG_2801.jpeg

IMG_2802.jpeg

IMG_2803.jpeg

IMG_2800.jpeg

IMG_2804.jpeg

IMG_2794.jpeg

IMG_2792.jpeg

IMG_2793.jpeg

IMG_2791.jpeg

IMG_2796.jpeg

IMG_2797.jpeg

IMG_2795.jpeg

IMG_2805.jpeg

Lovely old tree . Obviously clear up the detached limb ( fire wood ) and get some potting compost and plant daffodils in all the natural cavitys .  Looks great in the spring . Thats what I would do .

• Like 1

More years left in that than most would believe. Prune every second or third (I believe in little and often so I would do it most years) winter to stop it getting to big for its strength and it will go on longer than most of us. 

Edit: also seems to be no targets so why worry if it does fail?

@RobG 86What was you opinion?

Edited by Will C
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Peasgood said:

If they had someone who knew how to prune an apple tree in the winter they would even get a good crop off it (not what everyone wants either)

Would you not summer prune that at all, and if not can you explain why? I know you can summer prune trained apple trees but I have wondered if you could summer prune an old tree like the above.

• Like 1

Water shoots can be thinned out in summer but easier to see whats   in winter as the mass of leaves makes it harder to see the underlying framework of branches.

But summer prunning also helps surpress vigour so u get less new water shoots

Either way will work imo but im no expert.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/fruit/apples/managing-watershoots

If OP said fell/get rid of the tree would be real shame imo to loose  the  old apple tree.

People pay thosands for similar  lookin old gnarly olives  so what not value the old apples "beauty" also?

WWW.OLIVEGROVEOUNDLE.CO.UK

This gorgeous large mature olive tree is between 250 - 350 years old and is ready for planting in a container or in the...

• Like 3

On 18/07/2023 at 09:56, Paul in the woods said:

Would you not summer prune that at all, and if not can you explain why? I know you can summer prune trained apple trees but I have wondered if you could summer prune an old tree like the above.

You can summer prune, I tend not to as I am too busy elsewhere.

On the op's tree it wouldn't harm to pull off some of the watershoots now (which I do usually make time for). My comment was referring to the amount of new growth sprouting from poor pruning in the recent past.

If you reduce a young branch it causes loads of new shoots sprout off it. My main rule is if you are going to cut it off, cut it off completely.

The tree is in a garden so it doesn't really matter, just make it look pretty. I tend to see these things from a commercial growers point of view. I also see most garden apple trees with the above mistake and then the client says there crop is poor.