Aerial Rescue Practice

krummholz

48 minutes ago, krummholz said:

I didn't say that I do and I didn't say that I don't.

Your either physically performing aerial rescue practice and recording the information to comply with TG1, or your not.

What you did or didn’t say you do is irrelevant.

Personal opinion aside.

TG1 doesn’t apply to me as I don’t climb commercially in the UK, so I haven’t given it much thought on how I would be compliant if need be, but it really wouldn’t be that hard.

This will surely depend on your status, employed, sub contract climber or employer, with many variables. 

The large operators like Gristwood and Toms will have HR departments, internal trainers and the financial clout to tick all the boxes effectively, job done if your employed there.

Employed elsewhere, your at the mercy of the employer, good or bad. They will either take this seriously or not, you could pressure them, they see you as a shit stirrer and you get the chop, or they could see it as a simple exercise and get on it.

Contract climber subbing for different companies. The companies may take this seriously and do regular practice  with employees without your involvement, may involve you as a regular part of a team, or ignore it all together, you need to be proactive on this.

Self employed/owner operator, it’s up to you to decide how best to manage your compliance.

There have been several ideas put forward in this thread, none are hard to apply. 

At the end of the day, if you can’t rely on any of the above you could self rescue and just do what Dan Blocker suggested earlier, rec climb, bbq, beer and most importantly, make a record with as much detail as possible. Photos, various kit and scenarios, with or without safety line, with or without belay system and timings of all rescues etc.

Post a first draft on here and tag one of the AA in on here, see what their response is, if positive crack on, if not, edit and review the information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

Personal opinion aside.

TG1 doesn’t apply to me as I don’t climb commercially in the UK, so I haven’t given it much thought on how I would be compliant if need be

There we go! Some facts at last.

And what a journey we've been on to get here.

I'm guessing you don't do NPTC assessing for tree climbing and aerial rescue any more then either.

I will at some point be asking the AA about all this (kind of why I hoped that people would be sharing their experiences and solutions for compliance), and a few other oddities and contradictions in the TG1. The AA technicians don't seem super active on here though, and I don't have to wonder why.

10 minutes ago, krummholz said:

There we go! Some facts at last.

And what a journey we've been on to get here.

I'm guessing you don't do NPTC assessing for tree climbing and aerial rescue any more then either.

I will at some point be asking the AA about all this (kind of why I hoped that people would be sharing their experiences and solutions for compliance), and a few other oddities and contradictions in the TG1. The AA technicians don't seem super active on here though, and I don't have to wonder why.

I’ve never been an NPTC Assessor for any Aerial certification. 
You must have got the impression by now that most people involved on here couldn’t give a monkeys what TG1 says?

They certainly aren’t going to open up when the OP won’t even be straight up wether he is even towing the line, why should they?

I had a chat to a few guys Ive known in the Industry for years in the UK earlier, I  asked them about it,  they laughed their cocks off.

So it’s pretty simple to be compliant, it’s up to you really.

2 hours ago, 5thelement said:

At the end of the day, if you can’t rely on any of the above you could self rescue and just do what Dan Blocker suggested earlier, rec climb, bbq, beer and most importantly, make a record with as much detail as possible. Photos, various kit and scenarios, with or without safety line, with or without belay system and timings of all rescues etc.

Where did I suggest that? 

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

They certainly aren’t going to open up when the OP won’t even be straight up wether he is even towing the line, why should they?

I'm sure there's plenty on here with valuable input to give, but it's off-putting whilst the two of you are bickering back and forth like children.

Pipe down and you might get a bit more contribution. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AHPP said:

I was about to say similar. Must be the moon or something because everyone's a bit tense atm. I just played a game of five a side. Several people were right bitchy.

Well I was right there, in front of the goal, a frigging tap-in, but you never passed, you tried to shoot from the wing, selfish twat!

• Haha 3

On 13/07/2023 at 19:13, 5thelement said:

Post a first draft on here and tag one of the AA in on here, see what their response is, if positive crack on, if not, edit and review the information.

I mean I hate to be pedantic but that was what I suggested in my first post here…

I was in an employed role when we first did that, about 13 years ago. We had about 4/5 local companies + contractors who would get involved for it. It was a great opportunity to share techniques, especially for the guys working in companies where there wasn’t such a high standard of climbing. We kept a record of everyone who was there and what they’d done, then we’d have a fire, food and a few beers and generally have a nice day of it. Ticked all the boxes for the hse, very low cost, and a good fun day.

• Like 3