New to forum and questions regarding Electric Chainsaw

frin2

5 hours ago, GarethM said:

I could have been a little more tactful, but learn by doing. For a tenner it's worth trying, they might even get it right 1st time.

Many "pros" i know can't sharpen a chain well after years.

I think the powersharp system is aimed at people like the OP.

that said by the time you've bought a saw and a few chains, then replaced the cutting gear with the powersharp system you could have paid someone to remove them for less. 

• Like 3

Well here's the weapon, in all its glory. 

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

• 40cm Oregon bar and chain • Automatic chain lubrication • Hand guard and soft grip • Low kickback • 5m cable length • Oil tank capacity: 150ml • Kickback protection with mechanical...

Not a silly purchase, I'd expect it to do its job well enough. I guess the bar is one way only due to the side tensioner ( SDS? I'm familiar with that on drills, but not seen on chainsaws before. Google says it's Slotted Drive System, so could easily apply here ). As others have said, the easiest, and possibly cheapest way is to pay someone to remove them, often someone with a wood burning stove may be happy to have them. If you're going to cut them yourself, there are two things. 1) As others have said, try to clean the crap off first, even a garden hose will help. 2) Files are cheap. Cheaper than chains. As I think someone else tried to convey, it's quicker to sharpen a chain than change it. Have a look at a few Youtube videos. One important word of warning though, when sharpening an electric chainsaw, unplug it.  To move the chain on my Makita, you have to pull the trigger, and it's most disconcerting when it sets off because it's still plugged in! I know, I was that soldier. 

If I've understood your figures correctly, each cut is costing you £2. 8 cuts from a chain at over £16. That's eye watering, especially if you've got 1200 to make!   

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Hire a van for a few hrs and save all the heartache.

But only if you have a disposal site which will take them uncut. Sounds like the council tip won't, and they probably wouldn't let the van in either, mine is very sniffy about it. You need papers to go in with a van. 

• Like 2

A quick advert on your local  housing estate or village neighbourhood fakebook page stating free logs buyer collects will shift them in an afternoon.

Did that with a load of old ragstone I dug out my garden, and some slabs under an old shed I took down. Mention free and they are like flies round poo

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, pleasant said:

A quick advert on your local  housing estate or village neighbourhood fakebook page stating free logs buyer collects will shift them in an afternoon.

Did that with a load of old ragstone I dug out my garden, and some slabs under an old shed I took down. Mention free and they are like flies round poo

Good idea. One man's trash is another man's treasure. 

On 29/06/2023 at 10:49, GarethM said:

I could have been a little more tactful, but learn by doing. For a tenner it's worth trying, they might even get it right 1st time.

The reply was a kick in the pants and was going to shoot back with it took me a while to master riding a bike.

You're right, hand sharpening is best and a skill to learn, as a newbie I am being lazy, I just want to get the job done and put the saw away.

It would appear even the best among you don't always get sharpening right so wondering what chance I have but doing would improve things but it's time.

I'm dulling chains quick so hand sharpening maybe my only option.

On 29/06/2023 at 11:00, Bolt said:

It is probably less hassle to carry on as you are, but put much, much more effort into avoiding cutting into mud/earth/dirt at ALL costs.

If the chain cuts into dirt, it’s almost certainly knackered, so there is no point cutting any more with it until all damage has been filed away.  

It’s quicker to avoid cutting into the dirt in the first place.

Don’t cut dirt, d’ya hear.

Bolt, thanks for all your replies.

A rethink, you are right, I will stick to what I have, as fitted, the Hawksmore isn't bad, its doing the job but chains are dulling quick due to log condition.

8 minutes ago, frin2 said:

The reply was a kick in the pants and was going to shoot back with it took me a while to master riding a bike.

You're right, hand sharpening is best and a skill to learn, as a newbie I am being lazy, I just want to get the job done and put the saw away.

It would appear even the best among you don't always get sharpening right so wondering what chance I have but doing would improve things but it's time.

I'm dulling chains quick so hand sharpening maybe my only option.

Depends which side of the pants the kick was intended 😉