Greenmech starting issue

Shaunpaul

10 hours ago, AHPP said:

I assume you have a plan and I assume that plan isn't untraceable arson?

Auction North of Rennes.

If I sold it privately under French law I must guarantee it for two years though it is up to the buyer to prove I hid a known fault.

Auctions are sold as seen, no come back.

16 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

What do YOU think might be the cause of the starting issues?

It is hard to say without having the machine. On any engine diagnostic you have to work logically, testing items before moving on to the next. For example I don't know from my office what PSI the high pressure pump is on Shauns engine. Therefore I can only guess at his non starting issue.

These engines obviously shares the same principles as any 4 stroke EFI engine for diagnosis.

Fuel area...

Quality of fuel

Test high pressure pump for operating pressure. 

Delivery of low pressure pump to high pressure pump.

Spray test fuel injectors into a measured device checking flow pattern / delivery rate.

Electrics/ sensors (where fitted)

Throttle position sensor. You should usually be able to test 0% through to 100% 

Cam sensor

Crank sensor.

Oxygen /02 sensor

Continuity test through harness plugs and general tests of wiring harness.

Compression test engine, more just to know you have healthy compression. 

On 07/09/2023 at 12:18, AHPP said:

Someone posted a chipper for sale on Facebook earlier. Timberwolf 125, “uprated” engine. They’d taken a Honda off and installed a Briggs EFI. I laughed. 

Just saw it again. It’s being sold by someone in Hampshire called Reuben. 

16 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

In my case, software updates didn't work and any number of diagnostic tests where inconclusive. 

Before software updates can be run, the Briggs diag machine needs plugging in to the Briggs portal and the latest versions applied. Otherwise you are updating the engine with old hat software.

You have to remember Briggs make and sell thousands, if not millions of engines all around the world which need supporting. The only way they can release updates is via an online portal. It is then up to the dealer to make sure they are operating with the latest software and updating engines in the field accordingly.

4 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but can you not get  your own fault code reader for the EFI engine or would they not show up the faults?

It is a Briggs diag tool and you need the portal access for the system.

We separately have an OBD fault code reader for our vehicles. 

3 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

It is a Briggs diag tool and you need the portal access for the system.

We separately have an OBD fault code reader for our vehicles. 

There's the rub, California forced all vehicle manufacturers to comply with on board diagnostics so anyone could buy a reader and get the basic faults out, it didn't spread to industrial engines. Similarly I have several thousands of pounds worth of kit that needs firmware and security updates, I log on and download them online without having to go to a dealer to pay and get them. You are running a restrictive practice.

49 minutes ago, GA Groundcare said:

It is hard to say without having the machine. On any engine diagnostic you have to work logically, testing items before moving on to the next. For example I don't know from my office what PSI the high pressure pump is on Shauns engine. Therefore I can only guess at his non starting issue.

These engines obviously shares the same principles as any 4 stroke EFI engine for diagnosis.

Fuel area...

Quality of fuel

Test high pressure pump for operating pressure. 

Delivery of low pressure pump to high pressure pump.

Spray test fuel injectors into a measured device checking flow pattern / delivery rate.

Electrics/ sensors (where fitted)

Throttle position sensor. You should usually be able to test 0% through to 100% 

Cam sensor

Crank sensor.

Oxygen /02 sensor

Continuity test through harness plugs and general tests of wiring harness.

Compression test engine, more just to know you have healthy compression. 

Are you saying that all those may cause difficulty starting when warm?

The last issue mine had was it would start, run up to a few revs below that required to activate the hydraulics then hunt.

Plus why would a firmware be needed, other than to enable it to work with the scanner, even then they then to work with a number of older revisions.

Whilst updates might improve the fuel economy etc, it should be a running engine when it leaves the factory. You're car doesn't just stop working because ford use a new firmware.

As a guy who dealt with PLCs for a long while, I kept copies of everything for that singular reason.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1