Greenmech starting issue

Shaunpaul

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Yeah, it's not like the diesel's weren't water cooled! What matters is how quickly manufacturers are honest and drop this dog from their lineup.

Many years ago when you could buy a timberwolf straight from there factory I bought my first chipper which was a 18/100 which I still have as back up. 

It was fitted with Kohler 18hp, was taken on a tour around factory and the next batch were being built up and engine being fitted was Briggs, when I asked why, answer was price. 

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

They could have gone water cooled. 

Yes, a happy little 3 cylinder  wc petrol could make a good machine. Price point would be the same as a diesel then, plus the extra weight would end up being shaved off on things like the frame and flywheel.

In the long term it's more economical to buy a stronger unit that chips faster and get a towing licence. 

You could argue that it comes down to pricing. 5k (my estimate of the price difference, happy to be corrected,i havent checked) isn't a lot of money when you have it, but it takes a lot of graft to get it. Therefore the cheaper chipper becomes more attractive.

Try telling a customer you need an extra 50 quid per man per day because your government ****************ed up your ability to buy a reliable machine.

42 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

I take your point. For urban work and reductions they have a place.

Saying that, how much of the value is down to the fact that 20 years ago the machines were simpler and better put together? A sad reflection on "progress"?

The 230 is a brilliant chipper, a real step up from the 150.

I have had 2 x Arbor eaters, 2 x GMs 3 x TWs a Först and the big Schliesing but the 230 is the best pound for pound chipper I’ve ever had (I understand the Evo is similarly good)

The early 150s still fetch good money cos they can still make you good money, but this new generation (with the v1505 at 35hp) blows my mind on a daily basis.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

The 230 is a brilliant chipper, a real step up from the 150.

I have had 2 x Arbor eaters, 2 x GMs 3 x TWs and a Först and the 230 is the best pound for pound chipper I’ve ever had (I understand the Evo is similarly good)

The early 150s still fetch good money cos they can still make you good money, but this new generation (with the v1505 at 35hp) blows my mind on a daily basis.

You won't agree here, given your previous experience but I'm really happy with my st8 tow behind. Only have a couple of hundred hours on it (bought secondhand, now just over 1100 total hours) those kubota engines are good and the mix of own use and hire I've given the forst so far hasn't caused any issues.

There are a few bits where you can see money saving going on, but they're simple enough to work on, or at least they look that way!

Yet to use a 230 and I'm trying to step back from the tools but I'll keep what you said in mind.

5 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

You won't agree here, given your previous experience but I'm really happy with my st8 tow behind. Only have a couple of hundred hours on it (bought secondhand, now just over 1100 total hours) those kubota engines are good and the mix of own use and hire I've given the forst so far hasn't caused any issues.

There are a few bits where you can see money saving going on, but they're simple enough to work on, or at least they look that way!

Yet to use a 230 and I'm trying to step back from the tools but I'll keep what you said in mind.

You’re right, I won’t agree about the Först.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I'm not joking but I am actually experiencing flashbacks of anger and frustration over my experience.

So much so my wife asked me what is wrong with me today.

Solidarity. I have those about some things.

5 hours ago, GA Groundcare said:

There is very little option in petrol air cooled engines over 25hp. 

If there's some constraint on engine size or whatever, why not use two engines? A pair of white tank Hondas will run until Keith Richards dies and not cost much.

• Haha 1