Generator Won't Run under Load

Billhook

check the supply line between the tank and the carb......any ethanol in the fuel does funny things to them.......had me pulling what hairs left out with a similar problem, run fine all day untill loaded, then die, the fuel line was contracting internally with no outward signs

• Like 3

On 06/06/2023 at 23:39, agrimog said:

check the supply line between the tank and the carb......any ethanol in the fuel does funny things to them.......had me pulling what hairs left out with a similar problem, run fine all day untill loaded, then die, the fuel line was contracting internally with no outward signs

Good advice, I will investigate

On 27/05/2023 at 22:44, Billhook said:

I bought this generator new and have not used it for some time.  It has done no work and basically is as new.  I emptied the fuel and put in new fresh fuel.

Fuel supply issue. Those loncin Honda copy engines are notorious suceptical to fuel issues (just like the genuine Hondas) You stated in the quote above 'not been used for sometime' & 'emptied the fuel' That tells me you have left fuel in it for 'sometime' particularly inside the guts of the carb. I know you said it looked like new, was clean etc, but with the naked eye nowadays you simply won't see anything obvious that can cause a blockage. When you turn on your saw, the governor kicks in and the carb should draw more fuel to richen it up so it doesn't stall. It very quickly draws on what little fuel is available which is why it is difficult to re-start until effectively it has re-filled. Obviously what little is in 'reserve' inside the carb is not enough to overide the extra demand from the load applied. New carbs for that engine are only £20 or so....wouldn't mess about trying to clean it unless you have time on your hands- and even then there's no guarantee it will work. Remember next time you need to lay it up, leave it to completely run dry of fuel until it cuts out, and then to be sure drain the float bowl and re-fit. Start with fresh fuel when you want to re-use it.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, pleasant said:

Fuel supply issue. Those loncin Honda copy engines are notorious suceptical to fuel issues (just like the genuine Hondas) You stated in the quote above 'not been used for sometime' & 'emptied the fuel' That tells me you have left fuel in it for 'sometime' particularly inside the guts of the carb. I know you said it looked like new, was clean etc, but with the naked eye nowadays you simply won't see anything obvious that can cause a blockage. When you turn on your saw, the governor kicks in and the carb should draw more fuel to richen it up so it doesn't stall. It very quickly draws on what little fuel is available which is why it is difficult to re-start until effectively it has re-filled. Obviously what little is in 'reserve' inside the carb is not enough to overide the extra demand from the load applied. New carbs for that engine are only £20 or so....wouldn't mess about trying to clean it unless you have time on your hands- and even then there's no guarantee it will work. Remember next time you need to lay it up, leave it to completely run dry of fuel until it cuts out, and then to be sure drain the float bowl and re-fit. Start with fresh fuel when you want to re-use it.

Fully agree. A cheapy carb off eBay usually sorts the problem, I have them on the shelf for each type of Honda engine.

• Like 2

The cousin runs a Honda engined generator/welder, it has been playing up this while(and no disgrace to it with the use it has seen) back to the supplying dealer a few times, without success, until they finally fitted a cheapie Chinese copycat carb.

Now 100%.

I was up there today an he told me this pertinent snippet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, difflock said:

The cousin runs a Honda engined generator/welder, it has been playing up this while(and no disgrace to it with the use it has seen) back to the supplying dealer a few times, without success, until they finally fitted a cheapie Chinese copycat carb.

Now 100%.

I was up there today an he told me this pertinent snippet.

As @pleasantsays, a new carb should be the first port of call for any suspected fuelling issues. Cheap to buy and minutes to change. 

• Like 2

On 30/05/2023 at 12:05, Billhook said:

Thanks, I took out the main jet and blew it with the airline and it appeared to be like new.  The governor is a good call and I will try and look more closely at it

Ok, now, as said, you can blow out the main jet all you like, it will get you nowhere..

Try it the way i do.. Take out the jet and thread through it a single strand taken from some electric flex. While holding either end of the strand taut, spin the jet round on the strand as you would a wheel on an axle. Now blow or wash it out and refit. That should do it.

If not, you need to get a heater and try it on low and high and check that the governor is working. To be honest i would think that it is, as, every governor i have ever seen holds the throttle wide open until the governor closes it.

If it was not working, i would think the motor would scream its bollocks off if you gave it full throttle..

john..

Well this is the great thing about Arbtalk!  I thought that I knew it all with well over 50 years of pissing about with all types of petrol engines. 

The carb looks just like a brand new one after I had taken it off and blew it (no debris or deposits visible)  

Took out the jets and float needle all clean as a whistle,fresh fuel.

I will buy a new carb and a length of fuel line.  One thing at a time and if the carb does not fix it then try the fuel line as suggested by Agrimog

On 11/06/2023 at 20:44, Billhook said:

Well this is the great thing about Arbtalk!  I thought that I knew it all with well over 50 years of pissing about with all types of petrol engines. 

The carb looks just like a brand new one after I had taken it off and blew it (no debris or deposits visible)  

Took out the jets and float needle all clean as a whistle,fresh fuel.

I will buy a new carb and a length of fuel line.  One thing at a time and if the carb does not fix it then try the fuel line as suggested by Agrimog

I had a Yamaha XT600 motorbike. According to Yamaha, it was suited to unleaded petrol. Well, it was, sort of. You could undo a screw to drain the float chamber. The fuel escaped down a tube. This tube would then swell to not far off twice its size and go all spongy.. A few days later, it would have gone back to the original size.

There is no knowing what funny things might be going on inside the fuel tube as Agrimog said..

john..

• Like 1