Sycamore tree overgrown?

jazzman

Question

I have a "monster" tree in my front garden which I believe is a Sycamore/Acer type tree?  The mess this tree is making is incredible and some of my neighbours are complaining about the mess the tree is making on the street.

The problem is the property is owned by a  local housing association. I have tried several times to see if the tree can be removed or even cut back, unfortunately the housing association is refusing to do either, probably due to the cost of subcontracting the work out.

My question is it reasonable to request for this tree to be cut back? and if so does this type of work have to be carried out on a regular basis i.e. how many years?

Thanks

tree.JPG

22 hours ago, Squaredy said:

If that is a sycamore it should go, in my opinion.  Totally unsuitable location for a tree of that type.  If it is a field maple it might be OK, though if it were my property I would rather have something of a more appropriate size like rowan or laburnum.

If your neighbours are bothered about the tree they need to raise it with the housing association.  If enough people complain they may take action.  And if it is not protected by a preservation order then common sense suggests they would replace it with a tree that will not outgrow its position.  

I am not 100% if this tree is a sycamore. When the housing association called last year they said it was an Acer tree. Few pics which may help with the true identification?

DSCF3538.jpg

IMG_4324.jpg

IMG_4326.jpg

I had the gas board to do an inspection a few days ago to check if there could be any issues with the main gas pipe coming into the property. After the check it was identified that the tree was 1.3 metres away from the gas mains. The gas inspector was not sure if this was a problem without digging up the garden.

On 21/05/2023 at 15:25, MattyF said:

That’s no monster it’s barely semi mature !… it’s requests like this that made my last day contracting for local housing associations a happy one. 
no pruning,  unless it’s raising the crown is going to benefit it , it will go absolutely crazy and be more of problem if you do so. 

Absolutely spot on. Sick of these types of scenarios.... a small reduction is pointless.... a bigger one wouldn't be allowed and it would sprout back twice fold.... 

A reduction wouldn't benefit the house, possibly someone down the street maybe. 

Round here the tree officer would allow a crown lift and that's it. 

Get these scenarios all the time total pain in the arse..... tree surgeon is piggy in the middle 🐷..... tree owner wants the world on a plate.... tree officer wants to save every tree and allows minimal works. 

Poor tree surgeon has to waste their time and look at a tree that work wouldn't be passed on and let the customer down gently    ......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, swinny said:

Absolutely spot on. Sick of these types of scenarios.... a small reduction is pointless.... a bigger one wouldn't be allowed and it would sprout back twice fold.... 

A reduction wouldn't benefit the house, possibly someone down the street maybe. 

Round here the tree officer would allow a crown lift and that's it. 

Get these scenarios all the time total pain in the arse..... tree surgeon is piggy in the middle 🐷..... tree owner wants the world on a plate.... tree officer wants to save every tree and allows minimal works. 

Poor tree surgeon has to waste their time and look at a tree that work wouldn't be passed on and let the customer down gently    ......

At least FairPlay to the OP for asking the question here.. although I imagine if you where the contractor speaking to the association they would tell you they have had a call every day for the last two years three tree reports and a gas survey so please for the love of god just fell it🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bit of an update. The landlord has agreed to get the tree pruned he also mentioned pollarding. Not sure if this will cure the problem? Any comments if pollarding will help to resolve the problem? How often does pollarding have to be carried out to keep the tree under control?

This is the daily mess that I have had to put up with for several weeks this autumn, luckily most of the leaves have now gone 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Christ I'm glad I live in the middle of nowhere, where the presence of leaves on the ground in bloody autumn doesn't keep me awake at night.

Guess what? If you had a patch of soil out the front of your house, you could just leave ALL the leaves on it, and by the middle of spring they'd all just dissappear!  Magic, eh?

• Like 8

2 hours ago, peds said:

Christ I'm glad I live in the middle of nowhere, where the presence of leaves on the ground in bloody autumn doesn't keep me awake at night.

Guess what? If you had a patch of soil out the front of your house, you could just leave ALL the leaves on it, and by the middle of spring they'd all just dissappear!  Magic, eh?

Living in the middle of nowhere, yes I do agree with you. Living in a rural area  is very different, the leaves are everywhere staining the pathways, entering into the house, blocking the car vents and gutters/ downpipes. pathways slippery, front pavement cracking, neighbours complaining about the mess in the street. It is a lot of work to keep on top of the problem especially when you are elderly and disabled.