Battery saw with heated handles

scbk

1 hour ago, lurch_917 said:

i also hear that Husqvarna are developing a solar powered saw at the moment its is undergoing field testing in the uk which i must admit has had more than its usual 3 days of sun this year .

Yes...they are also developing a petrol powered chainsaw that a battery saw can plug into, which will recharge the battery

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Interesting.  Simplistically I always thought anything involving turning electricity to heat used insane amounts of power compared to light/motion/motor.  I would have thought manufacturers would want to skimp on this feature in the competitive race for battery life and cutting power?

I think for general heating, like air or water, yes it does need a lot of power. But heated handles are just a little wire running through, I don't know how many watts that would be?

Googling motorbike heated grips suggests 10w-30w or whatever? Which is a drop in the ocean compared to the 1.5kw motor.

I think the drawback for me would be I tend to leave battery saws "on tickover" for a long time, ready to go just by releasing the chainbrake. So if you left the grips on and the saw on the ground idiling for long periods you'd just be wasting power

It's nice to see them adding more features to the electric saws, I think I saw a clutch recently, and I like my little Milwaukee for keeping in the cab but we really need a 50cc equivalent as a minimum.

Electric motors are always better and I can't wait for the end of pull cords but I think we need another leap in battery technology to save weight before there's any serious development for heavy users.

Edit: I just read through the specs and it looks like it's not as far off petrol saws as I expected.

Edited by gdh