Look What Turned up in the Shed

muldonach

Another wet day today so checked the rails for true - first little niggle since there is a very slight droop at each end of the bed but the end plates sit over the side rails so no way to shim the ends of the rails without filing out the groove the end plates engage in

Sawhead fitted and engine installed ready to start once we put some oil in it, clutch and drivebelt also installed.

Once we have given the engine a test run we will be ready to fit a blade and adjust for true but forecast good tomorrow so back to land work

IMG_20230628_164945.jpg

IMG_20230628_165018.jpg

IMG_20230628_164945.jpg

• Like 5

Classist as well as racist! That’s at least two of you who’ve missed the joke now…

I was batting it around let week as it happens. Been building a shed with dad. It was meant to be an exercise in using up scraps but he’s ended up buying loads of expensive, rubbish wood. Looking at all the feather edge here alone, a Woodlands and a lorryload of larch would have paid for itself over the years. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Classist as well as racist! That’s at least two of you who’ve missed the joke now…

I was batting it around let week as it happens. Been building a shed with dad. It was meant to be an exercise in using up scraps but he’s ended up buying loads of expensive, rubbish wood. Looking at all the feather edge here alone, a Woodlands and a lorryload of larch would have paid for itself over the years. 

Far too well embedded for me and I don't think Roughie pops in here much.

These little mills do interest me, I liked the finish of the trekkasaw but far too much work.

The cantilevered woodmizer I didn't so much have niggles but more outright frustration, I was just too busy with harvesting to properly learn how to use it.

This Logosol looks more like the big Foresters and Dankaerts in sawmills I used to supply but how accurate are those narrow blades compared with wide bands? I realise they cannot cut as fast.

I guess if I were cutting dimemsiones softwood I'd stick with a lucas but even that ends up with a lot of lifting.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2023 at 11:17, openspaceman said:

Far too well embedded for me and I don't think Roughie pops in here much.

These little mills do interest me, I liked the finish of the trekkasaw but far too much work.

The cantilevered woodmizer I didn't so much have niggles but more outright frustration, I was just too busy with harvesting to properly learn how to use it.

This Logosol looks more like the big Foresters and Dankaerts in sawmills I used to supply but how accurate are those narrow blades compared with wide bands? I realise they cannot cut as fast.

I guess if I were cutting dimemsiones softwood I'd stick with a lucas but even that ends up with a lot of lifting.

Accurate to within less than  a mm easy if set and sharpening is good. Any 25mm - 50mm wide band won’t be overly slow going through timber neither with the right amount of grunt behind it. Admittedly it won’t match a large  wide band set up for speed but a lot less waste and attainable for a lot more of us. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Accurate to within less than  a mm easy if set and sharpening is good. Any 25mm - 50mm wide band won’t be overly slow going through timber neither with the right amount of grunt behind it. Admittedly it won’t match a large  wide band set up for speed but a lot less waste and attainable for a lot more of us. 

Yup, even with my £5k woodland mills 130 max I can make a veneer cut quite happily. Ripper 37s, the wider type. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the morning sorting cattle out and getting a ton of fun in the shape of a Simmental Bull out of the shed.

finished that early afternoon and rain setting in again so made the final adjustments as per manual and fired the beast up on a really crappy dry spruce log half of which will go for firewood and the rest will be ripped for stickers.

Really happy with the results - on the square and nice and even - we lifted a quarter inch slice off the log at one stage.

Jackson 2.jpg

IMG_20230710_163758.jpg

IMG_20230710_163813.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, muldonach said:

Spent the morning sorting cattle out and getting a ton of fun in the shape of a Simmental Bull out of the shed.

finished that early afternoon and rain setting in again so made the final adjustments as per manual and fired the beast up on a really crappy dry spruce log half of which will go for firewood and the rest will be ripped for stickers.

Really happy with the results - on the square and nice and even - we lifted a quarter inch slice off the log at one stage.

Jackson 2.jpg

IMG_20230710_163758.jpg

IMG_20230710_163813.jpg

Make short work cutting the bull up massive steaks off him 🤣