Back boiler on log burner

Obviously speak to a local stove/heating engineer, but 5kw gives you a starting point.

It's all about keeping the heat in the stove tho, best looking at something like a laddomat or similar. Let's the radiators sip the heat and maintains boiler efficiency 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDon said:

Grand thanks Gareth. Anything to not pay the 200 gas bill I get monthly now!

Did you break that down into cost for DHW and cost for heating?

I have never plumbed in my wood stove but it provides me with all the space heating for a small house 6 months of the year. I burn £100 a year for gas to provide DHW for the winter 6 months.

What I am getting at, and someone else asked earlier in the thread, is it not cheaper to install a second woodburner without worrying about DHW heating?

• Like 1

All I know is, having considered fitting a wet wood stove the time we built the garden room, and also considered fitting wet solar panels for DHW, is that for the tiny amount of kero we burn to provide DHW during the summer months,

it simply could not be made to make economic sense.

I established our  daily/weekly/monthly oil consumption by wiring in a old "flick-flak"  electric clock to moniter our daily boiler run times.

Now for a new build, yes it would make sense to consider the options.

GBR.GRANDADO.COM

Specifications: - Style: Modern - Screen Type: Needle - Origin: CN(Origin) - Model Number: Flip Down Clock - Material: Plastic - Form: Single Face - Feature: Calendars - Display Type:...

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Did you break that down into cost for DHW and cost for heating?

I have never plumbed in my wood stove but it provides me with all the space heating for a small house 6 months of the year. I burn £100 a year for gas to provide DHW for the winter 6 months.

What I am getting at, and someone else asked earlier in the thread, is it not cheaper to install a second woodburner without worrying about DHW heating?

Be a bit silly putting another log burner in wouldn't it? Would need to plum it through my downstairs bedroom which is sitting doing nothing anyway and up through my garage etc. 

I pay a minimum of 200 a month combined tbh but I work in forestry and get unlimited supply of firewood so it would make sense. 

7 minutes ago, JDon said:

I pay a minimum of 200 a month combined tbh but I work in forestry and get unlimited supply of firewood so it would make sense. 

Many of us get our wood for the sake of a bit of labour, in my case it means my utility bills are only £600/annum plus about £200 for water because of wood burning.

I have nothing against back boilers but as @difflock I found the economics of providing hot water didn't add up on a retrofit because the DHW for the winter months was so low.

I did decide to distribute hot air on our ground floor by ducting it from the stove and heat rises to the upper rooms. Yours seems less conventional.

56 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I did decide to distribute hot air on our ground floor by ducting it from the stove and heat rises to the upper rooms. Yours seems less conventional

I remember suggesting your ducting solution in a previous question by JDon about getting the heat from his present stove to travel throughout the house but it wasn't very practical as his house is upside down.

Putting a small stove downstairs sounds the most economical way to go and it wouldn't do any harm having some heat passed up through the garage.

Anyway @JDon enough muttering about stoves and logs, how about posting some of the stuff Logan shows me off your Facebook! We love seeing big tree felling here too you know! Anything with the full wrap handle in action would be acceptable...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I remember suggesting your ducting solution in a previous question by JDon about getting the heat from his present stove to travel throughout the house but it wasn't very practical as his house is upside down.

Not necessarily as the effect of thermal buoyancy  is not great, so does not need much power to overcome, in winter when the stove is on the fan only draws about 100W. The thing I discovered is it is not worth moving warm room air, I need to move air direct from the stove and ,in my case, blow 40C air into the next room.

It's not ideal because of the mild fan noise and it becomes necessary to blank off most of the stove from the room it is in to control the temperature.

The single 4kW stove copes down to zero outside but burns a lot of wood up to 16 hours a day. Even on those few days which went lower we managed with no other heating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

Putting a small stove downstairs sounds the most economical way to go and it wouldn't do any harm having some heat passed up through the garage.

Anyway @JDon enough muttering about stoves and logs, how about posting some of the stuff Logan shows me off your Facebook! We love seeing big tree felling here too you know! Anything with the full wrap handle in action would be acceptable...

I blew my Husky 572 up with the full wrap so got a 585 and it is a beast. I've a few videos I can send you. Got a full wrap coming for the 585, just in time for the 572 being rebuilt 😂

• Like 1