Prices

Raven

10 hours ago, Raven said:

Yeah that's kind of my point like if I charge 350 that's an extra hundred in the price which means some gypo company will come in under and get it. I know that's not really my problem but how else can we beat them. Also miss after taking to numerous people and companies I can reduce my overheads and up my wage. Not sure where I'm going yet or if I'll fold but it's really good to get other peoples thoughts on this.

I don’t know what you’re trying the achieve with these posts. Do you like what you do, can you live on the going rate? Then good. If not, do something else. 

how do you plan to reduce overheads? You’re a subby climber not a bona fide firm with a yard, staff and machinery. 

• Like 2

On 05/05/2023 at 09:18, Excels1or said:

I'll be honest, I'm a mediocre climber and if anything really tricky comes up we'll hire in a MEWP for £400 plus vat for the day. To me paying £350 per day (or passing on to the client) would be acceptable for a small number of jobs

Hey!

I'm an mediocre climber too but still better than the "I can cut it from here boi's"

(And Mark Bolam...)

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, Raven said:

Yeah that's kind of my point like if I charge 350 that's an extra hundred in the price which means some gypo company will come in under and get it. I know that's not really my problem but how else can we beat them. Also miss after taking to numerous people and companies I can reduce my overheads and up my wage. Not sure where I'm going yet or if I'll fold but it's really good to get other peoples thoughts on this.

No, it doesn’t mean another hundred on the price, it’s another hundred on YOUR price.

It’s up to the firm if they put the hundred on, swallow it, or get a cheaper guy in.

• Like 3

It’s up to you really, as much as we should all be valued higher our industry isn’t.  2 man team in north Essex goes out for around £750 plus vat. £250 for a climber £150 for the company bloke leaves one with £350. Then minus fuel, insurance, advertising, finance, re-investing… what’s the point… if we could charge more and pay more we would.  I used to Subbie Clive at £200 a day and tbf the majority of decent firms have their own climbers and you just end up working for cowboys on terribly run sites. Your insurance and rigging kit shouldn’t be necessary, any decent firm will have it 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

£350/day as a subby regularly is a push in any trade, if I want 5 days constantly it’s £250/day, not a penny more. £350/day is out there but it’s for one off jobs.

Eggs how much is your van and tools worth on a regular day replacement or actual value ?

I’m in the south east and at £350 a day I think you’d struggle to fill your week. A good climber is achieving £250 a day. To me if you want to get more than that a day you’d be better off getting a truck and a chipper and doing your own jobs and make the extra on the jobs. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dumper said:

Eggs how much is your van and tools worth on a regular day replacement or actual value ?

Actual value is nowhere near what a tree surgeon would need to run a tipper and chipper, if I split it, van, camera(s), jetter it would make no more than £20k. Most of my work these days is servicing domestic pumping stations and treatment plants so don’t really need what I have.

• Thanks 1

On 08/05/2023 at 10:16, eggsarascal said:

Actual value is nowhere near what a tree surgeon would need to run a tipper and chipper, if I split it, van, camera(s), jetter it would make no more than £20k. Most of my work these days is servicing domestic pumping stations and treatment plants so don’t really need what I have.

Subbing as a climber with a climbing saw and  a harness and no insurance is a different ball game to turning up with everything.

thing is the demand for Subbie climbers in our area has dropped off, good climbers are hard to find so when we find them we snap them up with  a cushty paye job.

the thought of subby climbing again makes me feel a bit Ill, fair enough when your 20. But the only jobs we did were **************** off ones, ones where their climber wasn’t up to it, or for firms running around in shorts. Turned my shoulders to dust in no time.