Ripsaw???

Rob1982

I've seen and saw tuning company called Ripsaw advertise on facebook eta in the sates. Has anyone had any dealings with them? If so what was the import duties on the saw's or parts like? And what was the standard of work like? Cheers Rob

There’s quite a bit of info around the interwebs inc f-book.

I’d be weary of some of there claims thou.

as for import duties you'd be paying vat on the whole price of the saw & porting work  inc shipping 🤔🙄 which is a darn large amount  to fly a few kg from the other side of the the sea.

the only thing I would be shipping from the USA would be a ported cylinder & piston.

As i once had a 25” GB 3/8 0.50 bar shipped from a guy who kindly marked down the value as $20 so there were no import duty, it still cost £80 to ship it 😱

I’d personally be looking at what @Crocky could do first,  😉👍.

Edited by Wonky
Spelling etc
  • Like 2

I got a rebuilt saw sent to Norway from the states for £60. I would choose an American saw builder over a UK one for the simple abundance of new cheap parts there.

I asked for a saw to be rebuilt with all new parts and that is exactly what I got, well with the exception of the crankcase.

Quality costs but no one regrets it.

@Rob1982

WWW.GOV.UK

VAT, duty and customs declarations for goods received by post or courier - paying, collecting your goods, getting...

Give them a call or Email them, that way you will know for sure.

Much better than buying a saw from a " Rebuilder" in the UK who bodged it together with the guts of two roasted saws and the contents of his late grandads tool box.

Whatever it is it'll be 20% as a general rule of thumb.

Might even need to get yourself a EORI number due to the value, depending on the shipping company you'll probably also need to sign paperwork and pay them for the processing of paperwork.

When I bought a new 660 from a guy on here who’s in the Far East the saw was around £7-800 and ended up paying a customs bill of around £100. It was all very easy, bill came from Fed ex. Just paid over the phone. Have a look on YouTube. There’s a few tree guys in the states running ripsaw saws and all speak very highly of them. 

5 minutes ago, tim361 said:

When I bought a new 660 from a guy on here who’s in the Far East the saw was around £7-800 and ended up paying a customs bill of around £100.

'A 660 shipped from the far east for £700-£800.

They are only 100 quid at most boot fairs or pub carparks...about the price of the carriage you paid. 🤣

Edited by pleasant

Back in the day when the £1 was worth nearly $2 I was importing big saws from USA and Canada . Giving them a birthday and selling them on ebay . It was only the odd occasion that I got stung for import duty but it still made it worth it because of the exchange rate . I think things have changed since then .