Handlebar or loop handle?

coppice cutter

Depends like has already been said...application and length of usage.

Generally a twin handled (or cow handled) brush cutter is used for more intensive use in larger areas where less precise control over what and where you are cutting is not an issue. You can use this type in a more of a scatter gun approach to cutting in large sweeps. As both handles are parrallel and located further up the machine shaft then a harness balanced machine will allow the operator to stand in a more upright position so less tiring and less strain of the back. You have to bend or lean forward to use a loop handle machine. A cow handled machine can and should be used with a twin shoulder harness....thus spreading the weight of the machine over both shoulders.

However if precision cutting in a more restricted or confined area is required then a loop handle is better. You have more control as your hands are gripping two seperate balance areas so your control is more precise, and can much easier thread the head through tight areas between trees, plants and up against sensitive things like fances or walls.

In the middle of a field....cow handle all day. A garden with obstructions then a loop handle. They are really two different machines for two different applications

Hope that helps

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

It'd be a battery one which is why I'm considering the loop handle.

Guess it all depends on the weight including the batteries and how long it will run for on a battery.

Personally I've a FS87 & FS410, call me a wuss but I'd ache just thinking about using them with loop handles even with a decent harness.

I've a 55cc Ryobi, well over 20yr old and still runs like the day it was new, original head, original clutch, only thing is has needed is a new fuel tank as it got knocked over a while ago and split the original one. It has cut a ridiculous amount of stuff over the years and usually runs with about a foot of line on it.

But handy it ain't, and I'm thinking of something a bit more convenient for round the fruit trees, fruit bushes, garden edging, etc.

Thus considering the loop even though I'd instinctively prefer handlebar.

Therefore looking opinions of those with experience of both.

Edited by coppice cutter

26 minutes ago, pleasant said:

However if precision cutting in a more restricted or confined area is required then a loop handle is better. You have more control and can much easier thread the head through tight areas between trees, plants and up against sensitive things like fances or walls.

In the middle of a field....cow handle all day. A garden with obstructions then a loop handle. They are really two different machines for two different applications

Hope that helps

Certainly does, I'd instinctively feel that I'd have greater control and accuracy with the handlebars.

So very useful to hear that the opposite is actually the case.

Thanks.

I  dislike loop handles even for 25 mins

I think cow h gives me better control and  more precision than loop .

Disadvantage of cow h is they takes more space in back of the van and prob costs abit more. Only time when using it is  akward  is if using it in a very confined narrow space down the side of a building between wall and hedge etc.

Some strimmer  have a choice of 3 types of handles  U shape   cow horn or loop handles.

Got this battery one is very good apart from the short battery life only does about 15 mins on a 5.0 amp battery x 2

WWW.MAKITAUK.COM

Product

1kw motor  so decent power clears brambles easy with  the oregon mulch blade

Edited by Stere
  • Like 1

If you are trying to do edging and things on lawns and around trees and detailed type strimming. Loop handle is definitely better for that. I have hundreds of metres of lawn edging to do and the fastest way is to turn the strimmer upside down and strim all the edges to a pretty much perfect straight edge. Additionally if you are strimming around trees then it is best to angle away from the trunk so that you don't hit the bark but just the grass. There are a lot of things you cannot do with handlebars on a strimmer. For big jobs and lots of heavy grass cutting, etc.. then for sure handlebars are the best option for that. That's my experience and I am sure others may have something else to say. But having used strimmers of all kinds for many years in many different situations that's what I would say. 

Battery wise I use EGO strimmers, they are very handy to use, have automatic wind in of the strimmer line with what they call powerload heads, their professional range are carbon fibre so nice and light, they have about 15 different battery sizes you can choose from. They are also fairly good price wise and come with good warranties on both the equipment and the batteries.