Stunt fell pics

josharb87

why a ms660 overkill , both your horizontil cuts apear to be same height with no step

A higher back-cut is only needed if there is a danger of the tree sliding back off the stump (Americans call it stump-shot) , apart from that it is detrimental to the felling process. e.g. It increases the length of fibers needed to flex in the felling process - therefore you need to cut the hinge much finer to committ the tree which means less control as the hinge is more likely to break

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been felling 24 years never heard that before only have cuts same height to get tree to spin as it hits another on way down so its not locked in the hinge , surely if they are the same height its too easy to make back cut below front cut making it difficult to get tree moving .

A higher back-cut is only needed if there is a danger of the tree sliding back off the stump (Americans call it stump-shot) , apart from that it is detrimental to the felling process. e.g. It increases the length of fibers needed to flex in the felling process - therefore you need to cut the hinge much finer to committ the tree which means less control as the hinge is more likely to break

Surely it is better to use a wedge or a pull rope or a winch or the wind or gravity or a hefty shove to commit the tree than to compromise the hinge size? A long hinge from a stepped cut I expect means bending less fibres but over a longer length than a straight-through cut which bends more fibres over zero length. If I am bothered about committing the cut and none of the above-mentioned means of assistance are enough to mop my fevered brow, I take the middle of the hinge out with a boring cut before doing back cut. All the control, half the effort.

I like the explanation of avoiding 'stump-shot'. The hinge has to take the force of shoving the entire weight of the tree sideways in just a few seconds. A wee step in there feels quite reassuring in case trhe hinge shears through.

• 4 weeks later...

todays stunt fell did a high fell to make it fit, i no it wont count to some people because of the winch but the tree was hollow so we wasn't going to take any chances.

Not trying to sound negative BUT..... it was more of a winch assisted fell rather than anything involving a stunt, flower beds and shrubs dont count and there wasnt really much i could see of risk value form the video.

At least it saved you some time on te job, no climbing or chogging. :thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...