Briggs & Stratton Vanguard issues on Forst/ Timberwolf

Greg Thompson

Anybody else had problems with Vanguard engines? We had Forst and swapped to a new petrol Timberwolf as Forst at the time had no idea why we had starting issues. Now we have the Timberwolf we have different issues with starting and stalling. Mainly fuel pump related.

I went for the same engine on a different chipper as we concerned about  diesel emissions compliance coming in but that seems to be less discussed now.

Either way it's been a long time since I had a chipper I can rely on!

Never, ever used to have starting issues with Jenson and earlier Forst. Perhaps these petrol engines are just not designed for chippers?

Be a shame to swap a six month old chipper just to go back to diesel.

Cheers

I've had problem with the brand new Vanguard 25V000 (14 HP) petrol engine which I bought to replace an old Vanguard engine that went 10 years with a problem then packed up. It has been back to the Briggs and Stratton authorised dealer that fitted it twice and they seem to have sorted out the problem now but they were going to contact Briggs and Stratton to see if any problems reported with this machine (I will chase this up). The machine was being starved of fuel it seems as a part was sticking above carburetor so it was starting with a bit of fuel in carb then cutting out, at first sprayed WD40 on it part sticking and it went for a while then problem started again so it went back to dealer and they got it going and it seems to be alright now. The engine is not on a chipper but firewood machinery, it is a road tow machine though so I was wondering if grit, mud or road salt or something has been thrown up causing problem as it does get splattered but never had this problem at all with the older model. This machine will cut out if oil level too low but that definitely wasn't the problem and it definitely wasn't the fuel or dirty getting into fuel it was the carburetor.

• Like 1

Three times the EFI Vanguard engine failed.

Began with starting issues when hot so had to wait until cooled down 20+ min before restarting.

Hunting, then began cold and hot starting THEN...THEN... it would hunt full time and wouldn't rise high enough to activate the rollers.

Fuel pump twice then possibly fuel pump and ECU ensemble.

First Efi mechanic found the pump pressure to be on the low side.

GM factory opened the fuel pump to find a grey sludge in the internal filter as did the last Efi mechanic who was driven to despair by the episode.

Pump fuel or clean Aspen containers but regardless nothing should get through the inline filter.

Shonky electrical connections too not designed for the vibrations and heat of a chipper, wires rubbing through.

I gave up on it and bought a diesel that can be repaired by any tractor mechanic.

Eventually Briggs UK came through for me and shipped a new engine to France. 

I am grateful to them for stepping up to the mark when Briggs E.U based in Germany failed me badly.

It was also a drinker of oil though nothing in the way of detectable exhaust fumes.

I still own it and the machine runs sweet but as I've a reed bed sewage system to finance this Autumn so it must go.

You're not alone, others too have moved their machines on rather than face painfull downtime and dealer denial as they drag out repairs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The worst thing about this was when I was told it was my fault somehow using dirty fuel despite the filter and tank being clean. 

Then the re-occurance of the issue which further undermined my credibility as a competant owner.

(Some people shouldn't be allowed dogs was one comment fired across my bows)

Total lack of any solid explaination from Briggs and their Efi dealers. 

Keeping my chipper first for month then 16 MONTHS! 

Incompetance, disinterest, aftersales from hell.

A parts supply chain that belongs in the last century, no reactivity or appreciation of their customers needs.

Covid, Briggs reorganisation of their E.U structure, closure of their Paris office.

A total ****************-fest.

It is a twin cylinder not a Rolls Royce Griffin after all.

THEN... I contacted Briggs UK agent who organised an engine to be sent through Briggs E.U's convoluted supply chain.

The Efi mechanic claimed it was his own efforts but still another 4 months to fit and deliver the chipper.

Meanwhile to avoid going out of business l we used our house deposit to purchase a chipper powered by a Kubota diesel.

Almost 200 trouble free hours...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

The worst thing about this was when I was told it was my fault somehow using dirty fuel despite the filter and tank being clean. 

Then the re-occurance of the issue which further undermined my credibility as a competant owner.

(Some people shouldn't be allowed dogs was one comment fired across my bows)

Total lack of any solid explaination from Briggs and their Efi dealers. 

Keeping my chipper first for month then 16 MONTHS! 

Incompetance, disinterest, aftersales from hell.

A parts supply chain that belongs in the last century, no reactivity or appreciation of their customers needs.

Covid, Briggs reorganisation of their E.U structure, closure of their Paris office.

A total ****************-fest.

It is a twin cylinder not a Rolls Royce Griffin after all.

THEN... I contacted Briggs UK agent who organised an engine to be sent through Briggs E.U's convoluted supply chain.

The Efi mechanic claimed it was his own efforts but still another 4 months to fit and deliver the chipper.

Meanwhile to avoid going out of business l we used our house deposit to purchase a chipper powered by a Kubota diesel.

Almost 200 trouble free hours...

Briggs are total shit. Always have been, always will be. The only people who think they are good are people

who think Black and Decker is a good power tool brand. 

All marketing, no substance. Let this be a lesson to anyone reading. 

Briggs and scrap em. Many a true word said in jest. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

I had many problems with 37hp briggs vanguard on Timberwolf 230. Random engine cut outs and problems starting, air filter mounts constantly breaking, engine mounts breaking etc. 

Some of these problems were made worse by Timberwolf's woeful design on this chipper- four 8mm bolts to hold the engine down, NO anti-vibration mounts- engine directly bolted to chassis! 

I had enough in the end and changed chipper manufacturer and engine.

• Like 2