They just can’t leave people

eggsarascal

18 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

What is the mooring costs for the year then. Must be a cheap way to live compared to a house which can be a money pit if rented or a big mortgage + bills.

Can be expensive.....

WWW.GREATHAYWOODMARINA.CO.UK

At Great Haywood Marina, we have 200 secured berths in the stunning West Midlands countryside. With shared water points...

..and that's just to moor there. Then you have additional fees for pumping out, electric, water supply etc (that's just the fees to allow you to use those facilities..on top you have to pay for how much waste is removed plus the electric and water) Then your normal stuff like heating, insurance and a load of maintenance. Plus it's always decreasing in value unlike bricks and mortar. It's the water equivalent of a static caravan

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Can be expensive.....

WWW.GREATHAYWOODMARINA.CO.UK

At Great Haywood Marina, we have 200 secured berths in the stunning West Midlands countryside. With shared water points...

..and that's just to moor there. Then you have additional fees for pumping out, electric, water supply etc. Then your normal stuff like heating, insurance and a load of maintenance. Plus it's always decreasing in value unlike bricks and mortar. It's the water equivalent of a static caravan

Interesting,  these mooring fees are more than double the council tax for my small flat in Glasgow which will for sure have more floor space than a barge.. as a curiosity do you still pay council tax on top if you're floating ?

2 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Interesting,  these mooring fees are more than double the council tax for my small flat in Glasgow which will for sure have more floor space than a barge.. as a curiosity do you still pay council tax on top if you're floating ?

Yes, if moored and is you main residence

2 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Yes, if moored and is you main residence

Wow, so not really a cheap housing option if you were to add up the on costs and compare to similar over the life time of a mortgage on a small flat..

Not only that, but I'd imagine many other unforeseen / unpredictable costs... there's no doubt ' and I say this with personal experience ' that boats of any kind are just a hole to throw money in.. perfectly fine, if you've got wads👍

• Like 2

23 hours ago, topchippyles said:

What is the mooring costs for the year then. Must be a cheap way to live compared to a house which can be a money pit if rented or a big mortgage + bills.

It depends where you are, like house rent, around big cities it’s can easily be £20k/year and much more. There is an offside mooring local which would suit me for £100/month plus electric 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Hope you're left in peace this time.

Hopefully Doug, it’s the first time I’ve ever been moved on and although I can’t prove it I’m fairly sure the lass who got asked to move her horse out bubbled me. Anyway, South Cheshire isn’t a bad place to live.

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Hopefully Doug, it’s the first time I’ve ever been moved on and although I can’t prove it I’m fairly sure the lass who got asked to move her horse out bubbled me. Anyway, South Cheshire isn’t a bad place to live.

I'd think you'll be right.

My mates wife inherited the family paddock, just a few acres and a stable block with a lean to for storage. The folk renting it did nothing, place was a mess with fences down, broken gates, the 'grazing' was waist high with thistles and ragwort, the metre wide space between the back of the stables and boundary wall was filled with muck because the muck heap was overflowing. They got their marching orders and my mate and I sorted it out, I got a stable for storage and we made the lean to into a workshop with a compressor for maintenance etc.

Wasn't long before the rumour locally was we'd kicked them out to start an illegal business fixing cars, then the threatening letters from the council started. Fairly obvious the previous tennant was suffering sour grapes, seems you've been caught in a similar scenario.

All I know of Cheshire is Knutsford Services, had a long, long wait there once for the RAC to take the pickup and I home to the Borders, that was a drawn out journey!

Hope you enjoy Cheshire in peace.

• Like 1