To all stump grinder operators

dangb93

Fair play to you for being so open about it many wouldn’t be. Thanks for sharpening the pictures, they’re quite sobering, it may well be a good thing for some of the youngsters to see who are yet to learn we are not invincible! 

best wishes for the future and continued recovery 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow.

Thanks for posting them.  I had to have a very long look at the first picture to try and make out what was/had actually happened.

Modern medical techniques are amazing.  I wish you all the luck in the world for the rest of your recovery.

If you don't mind me asking, where you a member of Arbtalk before the accident?  If not, what prompted you to start this thread?

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

If you don't mind me asking, where you a member of Arbtalk before the accident?  If not, what prompted you to start this thread?

I was, but rarely visited the site. The reason why I started this thread, is to raise awareness because I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through this, and if it happens to someone else it could be a lot worse. 
It’s not just stump grinders, and leaving the cutter wheel engaged and walking past the front - I also intend this thread to highlight in a more general way that it is not worth cutting corners. The basic principle here can be applied to using a chipper, climbing with or without a saw, using a saw on the ground - anything!! Take your time and think things through properly. Two seconds error has cost me at least two years out. 

Edited by dangb93
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Bugger me, I had to skip through those pics fast.:scared1: I am not sure you are supposed to see things like that unless you are a surgeon but it should wake a few people up to not be complacent about their safety and use of Arb equipment.

Good post and hope you get to a good place in time...bloody horrific and hats off the the people that saved your leg.

• Like 6

Holy f@@k, you are one of the luckiest guys alive to have been rescued before all blood and life was lost. Dear God if this isn't the best education to all workers to respect their machinery.

Truly horrific, but sometimes we need a good shake up.

Well done for posting them and keep on talking to us as you rehab. Hope your family is well, and looking after you and coping with I would guess massive mood swings

Shaun 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dangb93 said:

EFBCAE40-ADF2-408F-9E26-E7ADC148DA0E.thumb.jpeg.9355f62e83de140bbd6e6f0b7c487ae0.jpeg

(Above) Green arrows show position of lengthening adjustment at February, commencing limb lengthening. 
(Below) Green arrows show position of adjusters now that tibia lengthening is complete, 71mm total. Note toes are curled due to tendons pulling tight as limb is lengthened. July  IMG_1202.thumb.jpeg.699d53f2e9b1b901c66a16a11250f557.jpeg

Reading this with the bitter sweet memories when I had one of those Llizrov cages on my R leg Knee to Ankle after smashing Tib ad Fib in multiple places.

Don't miss it or the endless cleaning the pin sites. Then AB's when it didn't go well.

They are brilliant and gave me back a useable leg. All best wishes for your onward and upward travels.

Keep on the up, you'll get there. 

Best wishes.

• Thanks 1

The pics say it all. Be careful people.

And to the OP. I wish you well in your recovery, I reckon that you're a "glass half full"  sort of bloke and that you'll make the best of your recovery, hopefully that will be as near to your previous condition as possible. 

Big up to the medical team.

Good luck fellah 🤞

• Thanks 1