Upgrade to MS500i?

darnoc

10 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Get a Husqvarna 572XP then you will have all the power you need, if you get bigger trees you can put a 32" bar on it with a fullskip chain and still have lots of power...👍

For the power it is a light saw and much better than Stihl saws...... 😄

The 572 is heavy and underpowered compared to the 500. Don't waste your money.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

On 13/01/2023 at 10:06, darnoc said:

I am using a Stihl MS261 (my first saw), with an 18 inch light 04 bar and .325 RS Pro chain.

Its great and has done all I asked of it. However, the storms of recent years have brought me some large trees to deal with and I think I need to get a bigger saw. I currently have three oaks down which are over three foot at the base and one beech that is almost three foot at the base. I know I can get through these with the 261, but I think its too much to ask of the saw.

Having looked at the Stihl range, I am considering the MS500 with the 25 inch bar.

Is this the right way to go or should I be looking at a different saw?

Hi reading your original post and how you describe the trees, have you considered milling the oak in to slabs for table tops ? reason why i say this is that a friend of mine has recently (last september) just ringed a oak up where the main stem was near on 4ft in diameter and over 12ft long, when he showed me the photos of what he had done, i just thought WTF, i explained that if he had got it milled up in situ in to say100mm thick slabs and sold them and  proceeds he would of got would of paid for it being milled and bought him a lorry load of more user friendly firewood rather than cutting 4ft rings in to six so he was able to lift em, his face said it all !!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Some people should NOT be allowed near a chainsaw, or a good tree.

Your right there, This guy no matter what trees they are only ever sees the timber as firewood and nothing else,  at times i find it strange that some people just cant see past the end of there nose !!!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Your right there, This guy no matter what trees they are only ever sees the timber as firewood and nothing else,  at times i find it strange that some people just cant see past the end of there nose !!!!

Quite right.👍

• Like 1

I'm new to the forum. I manage my own established woodland, I have six years sawing experience and this is my first posting to the forum.

I had pretty much made my decision based on detailed research. I have not seen a 500i in the flesh and with no dealer near me stocking one I won't get to handle one so I'm buying sight unseen. I posted here and on another forum to get the views of those with more experience than me and as you can see I have received some relevant replies from your fellow members here.

Your a veteran member, so I assume an experienced woodman.

I can't see the sense in buying a heavier less powerful saw for the same money, nor can I see any credence in your assertion that Husqvarna saws are much better than Stihl saws. So, in this instance I'll pass on your advice.

14 minutes ago, darnoc said:

I'm new to the forum. 

nor can I see any credence in your assertion that Husqvarna saws are much better than Stihl saws. So, in this instance I'll pass on your advice.

You can't dismiss the Stihl verses Husqvarna argument , its the bread and butter of this forum and has been for years 😃 

• Like 2

On 14/01/2023 at 22:18, spuddog0507 said:

Hi reading your original post and how you describe the trees, have you considered milling the oak in to slabs for table tops ? reason why i say this is that a friend of mine has recently (last september) just ringed a oak up where the main stem was near on 4ft in diameter and over 12ft long, when he showed me the photos of what he had done, i just thought WTF, i explained that if he had got it milled up in situ in to say100mm thick slabs and sold them and  proceeds he would of got would of paid for it being milled and bought him a lorry load of more user friendly firewood rather than cutting 4ft rings in to six so he was able to lift em, his face said it all !!

On 14/01/2023 at 22:18, spuddog0507 said:

Spurdog I already have a stock of large seasoned oak boards ranging from 2 - 2.5m long, 40 - 50cm wide and 6cm thick. They would make great table tops, but that's not what I'm up to at the mo.

Don't worry about these trees, the will be cut into 1m slabs and turned into choping/serving boards and large bowls and platters. Only branches and offcuts make it to the wood boiler.

One of the oaks has burls all along the first 2.5m of the trunk. I know its much sought after stuff, but I have no experience of extracting this type of wood in sensible working pieces. I need to do some research.

I think the 500i and the longer bar will make things easier for me. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stubby said:

You can't dismiss the Stihl verses Husqvarna argument , its the bread and butter of this forum and has been for years 😃 

I didn't dismiss the Stihl versus Husqvarna argument, I simply stated I couldn't see any creedence in the assertion that Husqvarna saws are much better than Stihl saws. There is no definitive evidence to support this assertion, therefore, logically, the assertion is false and vice versa had the assertion been made in favour of Stihl saws.

I have no affiliation to either brand, I have equipment made by both and I am very happy with what I have.

Its simple, they both make good saws and which one you choose is a personal choice. Both have pros and cons and I understand people like to argue the toss, but I don't see the point in that, so in this instance, I chose to go with the lighter more powerful saw for the same money and at this point in time, it happens to be made by Stihl. I doubt I'll be dissapointed.

• Like 1